Headphone AMP/DAC combo for Audeze LCD-2s
Dec 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

spidert622

New Head-Fier
I recently took the plunge and bought myself a pair of Audeze lcd-2s.  I am very excited to start getting into audiophile culture.

The only problem is that I need to find a good AMP and a good DAC.

My price range is maximum $800
However if possible I would really like to keep it under $700 (or maybe even 600$?)

What I want
-Tube amps that are displayed (I love the look of these and I think they add a lot to your office/work-space)
-Relatively powerful (Needs to drive audeze LCD-2s)
-sleek look (brushed aluminium preferably)
-Dac/amp looking somewhat similar.  this way they flow and look good on the desk
-relatively neutral sound (but the ability to tune the sound with tubes later on)
-toslink or USB input (preferably USB but I am not super picky about this)

What I listen to
-dubstep
-alternative
-classical
-techno

Options I have looked at so far
-schiit (bifrost + lyr)
-wooaudio (firefly, this is out of budget but I am in love with it)
-Pan Amp by ALO (anyone know a good dac to go with this?)
-Hifiman EF-5, but I still need a dac and these arn't cheap(these are interesting I am going to research these)

Also I am kind of a high end audio noobie so any tips or things to watch out for would be much appreciated.

That's about all so far.

Thank you

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 9
As Schiit says in the FAQ, the Valhalla will not power them.

You might want to look at the Hifiman EF-5, which will.

But here's the thing...the LCD-2 is already a dark can.  You apparently want to make it darker.  That is certainly a minority viewpoint among LCD-2 owners.  That's fine, but you need to be talking to that like minded subset of folks.  You just won't find too many of them here on a general advice thread.  This become more true as your inquiry becomes more specific and multi-faceted.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 9
Thank you. I am very new to this so I did not realise that the audeze lcd-2s sounded like this.  Perhaps I am better off going for a tube amp with relatively neutral sound properties and modifying tube amps later?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back