Headphone Amp / Computer Setup
Feb 20, 2005 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PzMatiK

New Head-Fier
Greetings.
I was slightly afraid to post in this forum, as by reading alot of user postings the majority of you's all sound like audiophiles. I for one, am just a newbie and by no means consider myself as someone who knows 'their stuff' about sound
rolleyes.gif

Anyhow I'm considering the "Perreaux SHX1" headphone amplifer to work in conjunction with my computer and powering my Senn's HD-595's. I'm am just curious whether this would be a good combination? In addition (besides mp3 quality for example) would my computer system provide a decent source, or would it be best to connect the the Perreaux to a seperate CD Player?

I'm currently situated in New Zealand and could be purchasing the Perreaux amp (2nd hand - approximately 1.5 years old), so I'm assuming this will be the older version. The hum issue many have mentioned posed as a problem, however the the seller has informed me the problem was only present in the US 115v version, can anyone clarify this?

Cheers in advance.

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by PzMatiK
...In addition (besides mp3 quality for example) would my computer system provide a decent source, or would it be best to connect the the Perreaux to a seperate CD Player?

That will depend on the quality of your soundcard and the files you are playing thru it. The Chaintech AV710 is a popular card in these forums, low cost and high qaulity output if setup correctly. There's a great install guide in the 'Computer as a Source' forum - head there and happy reading.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to head-fi....
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitze
That will depend on the quality of your soundcard and the files you are playing thru it. The Chaintech AV710 is a popular card in these forums, low cost and high qaulity output if setup correctly. There's a great install guide in the 'Computer as a Source' forum - head there and happy reading.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to head-fi....
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok thanks.
Currently I'm using Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS which like the Chaintech is also very popular. Most of my mp3's have been encoded in 192kps and a above, so they are of decent quality.

Thanks, will go check out the other section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back