Headphone + Amp combo HELP!!
Aug 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tobiman

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I currently use my PC 350 for everything i.e. gaming, music, videos etc... It's not too shabby but could definitely use some work in the bass department and could be a bit more lively. I wanted to get the ATH - M50s as a replacement but I opted out at the last minute. Now, i'm back and i'm looking at something else. The V-Moda M100/Sennheiser 598 in combination with any of these sound cards or exterior AMPs,

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card

FiiO E09K High Output Desktop Headphone Amplifier

FiiO E12 Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier

I think the E12 (bass boost) might be good with the Sennheiser 598 because they help with the low bass problem according to a review on Amazon. Can anyone confirm this or shed some light based on experience? I'm looking for the best performance/$ setup. I'm not an audiophile but I can appreciate good sound and my PC 350 is really lacking atm. I have to use Dfx audio enhancer to boost it which does help but I would like to try something new.

If anyone has a setup they would like to share, i'm all ears. My music preference is R&B, rap, hip hop, rock. I usually like fast paced music with catchy beats so something with some speed would be nice.

My budget is around $400 for both headphone and amp/sound card. I can maybe stretch to $500 but would like to keep it as cheap as possible.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones.

Refurb, A900X, $130
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=269188747

New, A900X, $155
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=284640702

Sound card
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $20 after mail in rebate.
Sound Blaster Z, $80

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
What about the open headphone version? I like that better. Is there any noticeable difference?

The AD900X, it should have a little better mids, surround sound & treble and a little less bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back