Headphone Amp Building Kits?
Sep 9, 2008 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

I'm taking an electrical engineering class currently, and one of the semester's projects involves building a high-complexity audio device of some sort, either of our own design or through a kit. I see this as an excellent opportunity to build a really high quality headphone amplifier under the instruction of a really brilliant electrical engineer.

My budget lies between 350-600 dollars. What kits are available to me that fit these kinds of requirements? Anything with tubes is an absolute plus.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 5
Assuming you and your instructor are comfortable with HV, the Bijou is probably a good match, kits available here. The SOHA is a nice and slightly cheaper low voltage tube hybrid amp too, with kits at the same site. The Bottlehead S.E.X. is in your budget too, with the complete kit available including chassis and connectors. The Millet Hybrid Max doesn't have any kits AFAIK, but can be done for under your budget if you can get a board.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Check out Jeff Rossels kits. He puts together some nice kits and will taylor the parts to your liking if you desire. They save a lot of time sourcing parts. If you are open to solid state the balanced B22 would be my choice. May end up a bit over budget though
biggrin.gif

Glass Jar Audio : AMB Labs Kits

James

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 5
You might also check out Pete Millett's home page... I really wish someone would freshen the HA-4 as it has uber potential for a killer SS amp, given some brilliant EE went after it with newer opamps.

That said, I second the Bijou, especially if you do your own BOM - you will also learn more about sourcing materials than just getting a kit and wiring it up - but the expense is time. I also can heartily recommend the Millett Hybrid, especially if you wish to avoid high voltages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back