Headphone Amp and receiver chain
Jan 4, 2012 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pancakeplease

100+ Head-Fier
Current chain:

Computer onboard (via digital optical out) > Denon Receiver > Headphone out.

I'm getting a headphone amp and have a few options on how to add it into this chain. 

1) Computer onboard headphone out 3.5mm > 3.5mm Input Line In on Headphone Amp > headphones

2) Computer onboard headphone out 3.5mm > 3.5mm Input Line In on Headphone Amp > Headphone Amp's 3.5mm Line Out > RCA connection to Denon receiver (using 3.5mm to RCA) > Denon headphone out > headphones. 

3) Computer onboard (via digital optical out) > Denon receiver > Headphone out 1/4" to 1/8" 3.5mm > 3.5mm Input Line In on Headphone Amp > Headphones

#1 gets rid of my receiver entirely. I don't think this is the best option but I thought I'd just list it up in case I get some feedback.

#2 would put the Headphone Amp BEFORE it gets to the Denon and then use the Denon's headphone out. I'm not sure what would happen here since the signal is getting amplified by the Headphone Amp, AND THEN it's going through the entire Denon circuitry like it's own bass/treble management, sound modes, DAC, etc. and then using the Denon's headphone amp again for the headphone out. 

#3 sends pure digital signal out to the Denon and it'll allow me to send 24bit/96. The Denon does all the DAC work and any other conversion and signal processing. Denon's headphone amp will amplify the sound via the headphone out and it will send that signal to the Headphone Amp and get amped again. Finally, sending it to my headphones. 

#3 sounds like the most purest way to do it since I can send unaltered digital signal directly from my computer to my receiver. I don't have an external DAC and find that the Denon receiver has a great built-in DAC in it. I also like that I can still manipulate the bass and treble. However, I'm not sure how getting "double amped" will affect the sound. Or if there will be any issues with Ohms/impedance, any of that stuff. 
I bought the Headphone Amp so that I can have the benefit of one . The one on the receiver may be very good but I was told a standalone headphone amplifier will be way better. I don't want to mutilate any of the benefits of either by mashing them all up together. That wouldn't make any sense and it'd be money wasted.

Is there some way I can send signal out to a headphone amp without using the headphone out jack on the receiver? Effectively bypassing double amping. 

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 2
#3 also sounds like the best idea to me with your setup.  I'd imagine that your Denon receiver has a better DAC than your onboard audio (whether it be Realtek, Intel HD or AMD Beats).  While your sound will probably improve with the amplifier, good sound starts at the source.  Onboard DACs are notoriously poor compared to others.  Of course the true test will be once you get your amplifier and are able compare it to your Denon receiver.

Quote:
Is there some way I can send signal out to a headphone amp without using the headphone out jack on the receiver? Effectively bypassing double amping.

If you don't see such a Line-Out port then probably not but you might want to tell the model of your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back