headphone amp and integrated amp
May 29, 2002 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zoomin

Head-Fier
I am currently connecting a headphone amp (total air head) to the tape out RCAs of my NSD C370. I know I am avoiding the volume control circuitry, but what potential noise is included in this path, as opposed to avoiding the Integrated amp altogether?

I split my listening time equally between turntable and CDP as well as between speakers and headphones, so I don't know what other connection options I have that wouldn't require plugging and unplugging cables all the time...

I am thinking of a better quality headphone amp soon(moretto, MG Head, somehting tubey I think...), but will still have the same connection routing.

May 29, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 3
zoomin,

if i recal the topography of the nad integrateds correctly the signal path (using the tape out) is straight from the input to the source selector to the output. so, relatively short. there is the smallpotential for noise, but for all intents and purposes you should be okay, especially if you currently don't have noise issues
wink.gif

btw, i do the same thing when i move my mg head dt to the "main" setup... works great for me as well and a lot more convienent than switching sources/ics/etc.

best,
carlo.

May 30, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 3
For phono you are probably stuck anyway since you are either using the phono stage of the NAD (?), or a separate--but separate phono stages probably don't boost the signal enough to input to head amp.

I've read that some CD players have a strong enough output to go straight to the amp--that might be worth trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back