Headphone AMP and DAC under 200-300
Dec 19, 2011 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tiptoe

New Head-Fier
I'm going to shortly be getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's, and since I've only been mainly using IEM's and headphones that don't require any equipment to drive them I have neither a dac or an amp.

Is there any suggestions as to what's available to me? So far I've only seen the FiiO E7+E9 for a dac/amp combo, and have seen things such as the Schiit Asgard and Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2 for amps, but I believe I'd still need a seperate DAC for those unless I'm mistaken and they'd function just as the E7+E9 would without a seperate DAC.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Octavart amp dac

Maverick D1

NuForce HDP

Thanks for the reply.

The Octavart sems great, but I can't find anyone/anywhere selling one so I can't verify what the current price point of it is, although it seems as though it was apparently around 300 dollars when it was being manafactured.

The NuForce HDP seems like it'd fit what I need perfectly, but unfortunately it seems to be out of what I have for my budget at the moment which is a maximum of 300.

The Maverick D1 seems like it could be a great choice, but I've read that the E7/E9 combo drive the cans better.

I've got a new question now. Say I were to get the E7/E9 combo. In the future would I be able to use the E7 as a standalone DAC with something such as a Schiit asgard or even another amp above that? Or would the E7 not suffice and it would require a greater DAC?

I've also come across the Audio GD NFB-12. It costs around the same as an E7/E9 and according to reviews,works better as both a DAC and Amp, and apparently I can use it at a standalone DAC in the future as well. Does anybody have any comments on the NFB-12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back