Headphone amp and DAC recommendations under $750? A90D any good?
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Nellie75

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a desktop headphone amp and dac for my Sundaras (I also own DT1990pros and HD650s). But, I need a remote for this headphone amp as I will be sitting in the middle of the room in a recliner. I currently have a Schiit Modi3 and a Marantz 2245 receiver and run a 15ft Hart cable to my listening position. This my late night chair with a glass bourbon moment if you catch my drift. I thought it was great until I heard my friends new Schiit Heretic headphone amp!

I nearly pulled the trigger on A70/L70 stack then considered A90D with my current Modi3. I've been researching Topping, SMSL, Schiit and others. The thing is, I get conflicting advice from many reviewers. Z reviews and others claiming the A90D is the best headphone amp ever. Others claiming Topping and SMSL might look good on paper but in reality they are poor (fatiguing and too bland sonically). Not sure who to believe but my guess is somewhere in the middle.

Any advice?

I would like something with nice soundstage and detail. I listen to digital mostly but also a lot of CD and LPs.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 16
For soundstage / detail i'd highly recommend a mojo 2 if you can grab one (e.g. second hand). It's clear, has fantastic soundstage for the price. With HQ player, you can also take it up a notch. It's also great on the go (though i use mine with a poly 2).

I personally find the AKM chips a little glarey in the top end, and the soundstage while it can be wide in a good implementation, will often (not always) lack depth. The chord DACs (among others) really get the perception of soundstage depth right.

The lossless EQ on the mojo 2 will also help if you like to EQ a little.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 16
For soundstage / detail i'd highly recommend a mojo 2 if you can grab one (e.g. second hand). It's clear, has fantastic soundstage for the price. With HQ player, you can also take it up a notch. It's also great on the go (though i use mine with a poly 2).

I personally find the AKM chips a little glarey in the top end, and the soundstage while it can be wide in a good implementation, will often (not always) lack depth. The chord DACs (among others) really get the perception of soundstage depth right.

The lossless EQ on the mojo 2 will also help if you like to EQ a little.
problem is, I need a remote. I updated my original post to include those details. That said, I've heard the Mojo is great.

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 16
Dec 18, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 16
If you need remote, then only a90d. Not as good as Hifiman ef400 for live instruments and voices, but very universal and neutral choice. I have smsl su-10 + a90d and ef400 for all genres and moods.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 16
If you need remote, then only a90d. Not as good as Hifiman ef400 for live instruments and voices, but very universal and neutral choice. I have smsl su-10 + a90d and ef400 for all genres and moods.
Is it rue that the SMSL DACs are warmer and make for a better pairing with the Topping stuff like the A90D?

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 16
If you had to have just one headphone amp of those and you are mostly a rock and acoustic listener, what would you choose? ef400 has some missing features I would like. No optical?!

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 16
Why do you recommend this stack?
Simply because it is in your price range, has everything you need including remote, I used them for years before upgrading to the M400 and SP400, they are perfect for any genre and I have never had any problems with any Chinese product that I own despite the naysayers also these two were head and shoulders above the topping Dx7 pro which has rave reviews but sounded like I was listening with my head in a toilet

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 16
Simply because it is in your price range, has everything you need including remote, I used them for years before upgrading to the M400 and SP400, they are perfect for any genre and I have never had any problems with any Chinese product that I own despite the naysayers also these two were head and shoulders above the topping Dx7 pro which has rave reviews but sounded like I was listening with my head in a toilet
The dac you recommend looks like it would fit my needs. The headphone amp leaves a.lot of questions however. I’d like preouts, and true balanced headphone jacks. Can’t tell if the SH-9 has either.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 16
I think the new Topping L70 and D70 are another a90d alternative with remote and very similar. But there is a lot more info on the A90D

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 16
Well, a certified A90D just popped up on Apos for $509 (nearly $100 off) so I pounced.

Now to just find a dac to go with it. I have a Schiit Modi3 currently. Any recommendations? The matching dac for the A90D is $800 bucks. I hate spending that much on a dac!

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 16
Used RME ADI-2 DAC fs. It has a remote. And very good audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back