Headphone amp and air travel.
Dec 3, 2001 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Surfaday

Head-Fier
Has anyone flown in these crazy times with a portable amp? I'm thinking of JMT/TA sized little metal or black boxes. How rabid are the security folk and are they convinced that you aren't carrying a bomb when they can hear the music through the amp?

Or, has anyone lost an amp to airport security?
eek.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 16
I was actually worrying about this myself as I'm due to fly back to Hilo in about 3 weeks...and I know I would die if I don't bring a JMT amp back with me as I have no headphone amp in Hilo. The amp JMT just built for me though is a lot less attention grabbing in its plain black, so maybe I can get through without anybody even glancing at it...unless of course they really go through everything. I'm not so sure the security is as high for interisland flights as it would be for mainland flights, and most of the intensive security is in the cities where those planes took off from on Sept. 11. Still I wouldn't want to risk my amp on it.

Dec 3, 2001 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 16
I hate to say this, but unless you want to risk kissing your amp good-bye, you better consider living without it for a few hours (you can really do it). Once you get to that final security checkpoint, It's too late to put it into your luggage if they decide to take it. On a recent trip, I had bought a couple of keychain-sized laser pointers, the kind you use as a pointer for giving presentations. Nothing powerful. I didn't know you weren't allowed to take them on a plane. When I got to security they said no go. I said what can I do with them, my luggage already is sent through. They said we'll have to take them and throw them away. That was the last I saw of my two new laser pointers. I hate to see that happen to a sweet JMT amp. Put your amp in your luggage before you fly.

Dec 3, 2001 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 16
Ahh, so as long as it goes into the bottom of the plane's belly, it's all cool with them? That I can do.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't need the amp during the plane trip, it's just the process of transferring the amp from city to city that I must get done.

Dec 3, 2001 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

I said what can I do with them, my luggage already is sent through. They said we'll have to take them and throw them away. That was the last I saw of my two new laser pointers

What?? Can you ask them to take it to the plane then give it back to you later?
I was quite common here in Canada.... before Sep 11 of course.

Dec 3, 2001 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 16
Honestly...I don't think any Altoid amp will fly by screening. Think about it...its a headphone amp hidden or contained within a candy tin. It is electronics with a battery, wires, and switches, concealed by a candy tin. You can try...but ummm, yah don't be suprised if you lose it.

A DBSE/DIYer non-altoid amp doesn't seem to fare much better. Perhaps more commercialized looking products will, but than those would be pretty pricey so the risk is still there. Quite simply...I don't really expect much comprehension whatsoever if you told them that it is a "headphone amp".

Ummmm you see the problem is...headphone amps that can be used during air travel typically have: Batteries, wires, electronics, switches, and often shiny LED's. Hmmm what are some of the security trained to look for hmmmmmmm.

Dec 3, 2001 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 16
No, but seriously, this is very annoying considering that I have a long plane trip ahead of me (Boston to Milan) in a few weeks. Maybe I should just get that Porta Corda already -- seems like it might fare better.

Dec 3, 2001 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 16
That's right Vert, if you put something in your suitcase they don't care. Even if you were transporting a hunting knife you could take it in your suitcase. It's just they don't want things onboard.

Dec 3, 2001 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 16
I recently took the plane with a headbanger (shame on me!) in my suitcase and had no problem...

Anyway, what whadbang says is approximatively quite correct (but don't try to take 1 kg of dynamite in your cases). So maybe it is better not to take your amp in the cabin. Your suitcases are scanned and screened, but I think they won't stop it for a pocket amp... lots of travellers have electronic (and even audio) devices in their suitcases (alarm clocks, radios,...), and those cases are rarely opened.
The scanners (and their operators) in airports can specifically detect explosives and detonators...they can make the difference with a pocket amp. Nothing can hurt in a pocket amp...

Dec 3, 2001 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 16
I have done two round trip flights from Houston, tx to Norfolk, VA, and on each occasion carried my JMT penguin, Koss KSC 35's, and Iomega juke box, all of which stored in a Headroom bag. Not once did I have a problem going through screening. I never even had to pull it out of my carry on bag.
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 16
It depends on the airport, but the "it's OK in your checked bag, just not in the cabin" rule isn't quite true. It's true for things like knives, nail clippers, scissors, etc. (things that could be used as manual weapons). However, for things like a DIY amp, that (as other described) is a little case with wires, switches, etc., they might confiscate it altogether. If sometime looks like it could be some type of bomb or transmitter, they don't want it on the plane at all. Since all luggage is X-rayed after you check it in, there's a chance your luggage could get opened and searched.

Personally, I'd send the amp to myself through the mail or UPS, Vert. Why chance it?

Dec 3, 2001 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 16
Hmmm...
I'm still considering taking my JMT with me on the 15th. What I'll do is bring a friend; and if it becomes a hassle, I'll just give it to him to hold it for me til I get back. This way, I will not loose the amp. In anycase, I just don't feel that it's gonna be a big deal. Although I may have to demonstrate it the security guy. We'll see what happens.

tuan

Dec 3, 2001 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I just don't feel that it's gonna be a big deal. Although I may have to demonstrate it the security guy. We'll see what happens.

They may find it sound so good that they "have" to take it away from you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But I strongly feel that if you put it into you suit case, then it shouldn't have any problem at all. If they think your little amp is a problem, then my laptop may scare them to death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back