Headphone Amp Advice
Dec 17, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #16 of 44
Ah... So my untrained ears may not pick up that something is amiss without comparing with another DAC? That's a pain. I'll see how it sounds, though.

Are the reviews you've read of the Asgard 3 DAC fairly old? I've been reading that the DAC was changed from the AK4490 after a fire burned down an AKM factory. They now use an ES9028 in the Asgard 3, which seems to be the same as in the Modius. I don't know whether there's more to it, but maybe that means that the DAC issues in the Asgard 3 have been solved.

Yes, I though that direct to PC would probably be my best bet. Thought I'd better check, though.

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #17 of 44
Hello all! I come as a new member with precious little knowledge of the technical wizardry involved in audio equipment, looking for advice because I need to buy a headphone amp. I recently acquired some Hifiman he400se, and it turns out that my Scarlett 4i4 doesn't possess the power to handle them. So I've disappeared a little way down the rabbit hole with a budget that probably maxes out at around £250, and returned with a few options that look good to my inexperienced eyes, and also several questions. So here is my current list of contenders and associated questions:

Amps:
iFi Zen Can (found at £150)
iFi Zen Can Signature HFM (found at £240)
Question about these: Would people generally consider the additional £90 for the tailored amp to be worthwhile?

Amps with DACs:
Fiio K7 (found at £190)
SMSL M500 (found in second hand "like new" condition at £250)
Questions about these: Am I better off with an amp/DAC combo, or putting more money into the amp and just using the DAC in the 4i4?
My understanding is that the M500 is a few years older than the K7 - has the tech developed substantially during that time?

Amp with Preamps:
Cranborne Audio Camden EC1 (found in second hand "like new" condition at £250)
Questions about this: I do record and produce music from my bedroom - how substantial a difference do standalone preamps make relative to those in a 4i4?
I get the impression this is primarily a preamp - how does its headphone amp compare with the others?

So general questions I have about about these amps...: Which one is the best headphone amp? Which one would you buy?

Do you have suggestions for other amps I should look at, and why should I look at them?

Additional info: I listen to a very broad range of music, so I'm after something that'll do equal justice to Morton Feldman, Cardiacs and 65daysofstatic. Most of my listening is through Spotify at the moment, but I'm giving much consideration to moving to a platform with higher quality files. Let me know if I've omitted any important information.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer me!

Cheers!
Schiit Audio Magni + ($109) Amp and Modi + ($129) DAC

Drop the Mike!!!

Done

Leo

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #18 of 44
Ah... So my untrained ears may not pick up that something is amiss without comparing with another DAC? That's a pain. I'll see how it sounds, though.

On the upside, that's probably not a pain.

I mean, I can tell enough of a difference that for a time I agonized getting an Arcam CD72 just because it sounded the best for imaging and even tone. Someone that can't tell the difference back then will just get a $500 CDP or even the $200 small CDPs that Chinese brands were coming up with at the time and just be done with it (though to be fair some of those $200 mini CDPs didn't even have the problematic response I've heard on some $500 CDPs).

Are the reviews you've read of the Asgard 3 DAC fairly old? I've been reading that the DAC was changed from the AK4490 after a fire burned down an AKM factory. They now use an ES9028 in the Asgard 3, which seems to be the same as in the Modius. I don't know whether there's more to it, but maybe that means that the DAC issues in the Asgard 3 have been solved.

Yes. The AKM version might actually sound better, not just because they swapped out the chip but that the board itself may have been revised. Like a USB receiver chip that can filter out a bit of noise for example. Plus the uneven response isn't due to the chip, it's how it's used on that specific board.

Dec 18, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #19 of 44
I've seen one or two people saying the new internal DAC is an improvement on the old one, so it sounds hopeful.

I guess maybe the last question is whether there's anything particular I should look out for in terms of the cable to connect PC to amp?

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #20 of 44
I guess maybe the last question is whether there's anything particular I should look out for in terms of the cable to connect PC to amp?

Just the right USB plug, which I think is USB-B on the Schiit end.

AFAIK it takes power from the board, but audiophile USB cables that don't have the bus power contacts on them aren't a thing anymore. Some even had problems with data transfer errors because they just took regular shielded conductors more usually used for analogue and braided them, just not running any of them for power, and that just created more problems compared to just a plain USB cable that didn't get the power conductors soldered to either plug.

Dec 20, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #24 of 44
Yes, I did. Would my cable bypass the DAC, or something?

Yes. If you want to use the built-in DAC you need to hook up to the DAC. It has only one port: USB.
11204488.jpg

As to what type of USB port...might wanna wait for your unit and look at that one. For all we know they might have switched to USB-C like on the current Modi.

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #26 of 44
So the amp has arrived! It's working great - none of the distortion I was getting through the Scarlett. Weirdly, if I try to bypass the DAC using the rca inputs I get constant loud buzzing, crackling and bleeps. Not exactly a problem, because I intend to use it with the DAC, but I'm curious whether anyone has any ideas what may be causing these noises, and how to stop them.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #27 of 44
Weirdly, if I try to bypass the DAC using the rca inputs I get constant loud buzzing, crackling and bleeps. Not exactly a problem, because I intend to use it with the DAC, but I'm curious whether anyone has any ideas what may be causing these noises, and how to stop them.

What are you connecting to the analogue inputs of the Asgard3?

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #30 of 44
A new issue has arisen when using the amp with the DAC: loud crackling static noises in the right ear. It seems to come on after the Asgard has been on for a while. I'm pretty certain it isn't the headphones or the USB cable, and that it's coming from the amp. Do I need to send it back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back