Headphone advise for a Head-fi newbie!
May 6, 2007 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

djdeels

New Head-Fier
Hi All!

I've currently got a pair of E2C's which I use with my 2nd Gen 8 gb Nano and a pair of Sennheiser HD447 that I occasionally use when I dont want to use in-ear buds (I work in radio production at the BBC so try to keep in-ear usage low as I dont want to damage my hearing). The HD447's aren't exactly great so I'd like to buy a pair of cans for day to day use at home or possible out and about when commuting.

So far I've considered the following:

Grado SR-60 - based on opinions here and it currently being What Hi-Fi magazines best buy

Beyer DT770 - we use these alot in network radio broadcast studios and I find them very comfortable and well built from experience in work

Sennheiser HD-25 Pro's - Come recommended from friends

My listening comprises of dance, hiphop, soul, funk, speech, rock, alternative and electronic (so pretty diverse!) on my Nano, laptop, digital radios and Sony seperates. As such I wont be using a headphone amp.

At first I thought I would just use them at home so open back would be fine however I think they may be used on the tube so considering closed.

Budget is up to £100.....

Thanks!

May 6, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 22
The DT770's do very well with your music tastes, however they may not be very good with rock and alternative. another phone could be the A700's. they are also closed back. it's kind of hard to find a good pair of closed-back headphones for under $300. i would say the dt770's are a good bet. and since you find them comfortable and have experience with them...why not
wink.gif

May 6, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 22
Well I first started to consider a decent pair of headphone whilst flipping through What HiFi and seeing the Grado SR-60's which are available for £60 - £70 here on the web. I'm wondering if its best to try not to cover all bases with one pair? I am limited with budget now due to the premium cost of rent in London
cool.gif

May 6, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 22
Ok, I've read about the Alessandro's on here but I'm not sure about availability in the UK. It would be nice to be able to demo them all properly but its not always that easy is it!

May 6, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 22
Well, if you keep your $300 budget then you can do alot better in the Grado line than the SR-60's. I'd look into the Alessandro MS-2i's, because Alessandro does not raise its prices for over-seas purchases.

May 6, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 22
Seem to be struggling to find an online retailer for Alessandro here in the UK. If I stick to my £100 budget would you recommend spending the extra £20 to have the SR-80's over the SR-60's?

Intrigued about the Alessandro's now, certainly like the styling!

May 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 22
I have the SR60s and while they offer excellent "in your face sound" the harsh highs really put me off and fatigue me after an hour or so. =/ Comfort is a problem for me as well since my ears are sensitive.

May 6, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 22
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

They ship internationally. It's 99 USD for MS-1's. Of course you can even go straight to the MS-2's with your budget of 299 USD. Alessandro's are made by Grado (and ARE Grados) and are called the Alessandro Music Series. They have a more balanced tone, but still retain the aggressive behavior of the Prestige Series without the harsh highs that cause fatigue.

May 6, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 22
Thanks for the advice so far guys, its really appreciated!

Just to confirm though, I've set my budget (seeing as I'm a newbie and its all I can afford at the moment!) to upto £100 so thats currently $199 US Dollars

May 6, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 22
Someone mentioned the A700s and those are good, but in your price range you can probably move into the A900s which are better. Of course, neither of those models are really all that good for wearing on the go, but then again, neither are the grados/Alessandros, the A700/900 because they are huge, and the grados/alessandros because they are open.

May 6, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 22
Hmm I'm beginning to think that I need to decide on Opens v Closed first of all then take it from there. Considering I've already got a pair of E2C's I'm thinking Open...

May 6, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainzoli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone mentioned the A700s and those are good, but in your price range you can probably move into the A900s which are better. Of course, neither of those models are really all that good for wearing on the go, but then again, neither are the grados/Alessandros, the A700/900 because they are huge, and the grados/alessandros because they are open.

a700's and a900's have little or no difference at all.

May 6, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a700's and a900's have little or no difference at all.

I'm speaking from my own experience, yours may very well be different from mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back