headphone advice
Sep 7, 2002 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wqm176

New Head-Fier
Well, let me just begin by saying that I'm quite overwhelmed by the number of choices and all the conflicting advice in regard to headphones. That's why I'm posting here: hopefully someone will be able to show me the light.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I listen to classical music and I'd like to get a good pair of headphones for somewhere under 100 dollars. My source is a not-particularly-great Sharp tower system. So, bearing all that in mind, what would be your recommendation for a pair of headphones? I've heard that Grado 60s would be a good pair to get, but I thought I would seek out the advice available here before I bought anything.

Also, another question I have is in regard to listening to DVDs on my computer. I have a soundblaster audigy, but not very good computer speakers. I don't have a TV and don't plan to get one soon, but I'd like to listen to opera DVDs on my computer and get the best sound experience possible. In addition to getting a good pair of headphones, would I need to get an amplifier to really get the best sound? Also, speaking of amplifiers, considering that I don't have a high quality CD player, and just the mini-tower system I linked above, would an amplifier be a wise purchase in order to improve sound there as well? And if so, what would be a good, cheap amp to get?

If I decide to get an amp as well, would it be possible to get a good headphone/amp combo for under 200 dollars?

Again, any advice would be warmly welcomed.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
do you need isolation?

Well, I want to get a pair of headphones for home use, so I'm not really concerned about isolation one way or the other. Mainly I'm concerned about sound quality; if isolation is a hindrance to that, and from what I've read that seems to be the case, then I certainly don't need it. Although, if a good pair of headphones offered superior sonics along with isolation, that'd be fine by me.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome, everyone. Good to meet you all.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back