Headphone Advice: Senn, Grados, etc.
Dec 13, 2007 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

erythrophyte

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I'd like new headphones for the holidays. Over the years I've tried the Koss Porta Pro's, another Koss (closed, something -30, I can't remember), two Senn PX-100 and, still in use, Creative's CX300-like in-ear.

I've had bad experiences with the PX-100s because they usually didn't last for more than a year and the problem was always one phone dying. But, the sound and 'look' was surprisingly good and I know cans don't last forever.

I'm looking for something a step up from those. I've never tried Grados, but I was looking the SR60's maybe 80's. I'm a bit Grado-curious. How are they compared to Senns?

The one I'm considering more is the Senn HD555. I live in Canada, so I can get them from a retailer on amazon.com for about ~$125 USD/CND with shipping and everything. So far that's the lowest price I can find online. Next is headphone.com with ~$129. I'll have check music shops to see if I can try them locally.

So I'm looking for something <~$125 CND range and for home use or when traveling long distances. It wouldn't be something I would wear on the bus. Though, I am not discouraging more portable, equally good sounding cans.

The source would most likely be the computer and iPod, but possibly also the TV and receiver. I would be using it for music primarily.

As for what kind of music? I don't listen to much heavy metal or rock, in fact most of mainstream western music is alien to me. I usually like extremes in the sense of both haunting, minimalistic cellos and strings to rich, lush, layered arrangements both classical and electronic.

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded. I just want some advice from those who've had more experience with these phones or those who have any other recommendations.

Thanks for your time and help,

-E

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 10
The hd555s are great cans! Burn them in first though cause they are thin and bassless out of the box. At least my pair was anyway. After some patience they become warm and bloomy cans that have a great presentation. I haven't heard anything sound as natural for the price

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 10
I think the words used to describe Senn and Grado are laid-back and aggressive respectively. I'd say go with the HD555 since you have previous Senn experience and found the overall sound sig good.

I've got an HD555 as well, very nice...even upamped..

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

The hd555s are great cans! Burn them in first though cause they are thin and bassless out of the box. At least my pair was anyway. After some patience they become warm and bloomy cans that have a great presentation. I haven't heard anything sound as natural for the price

Quote:

I think the words used to describe Senn and Grado are laid-back and aggressive respectively. I'd say go with the HD555 since you have previous Senn experience and found the overall sound sig good.

I've got an HD555 as well, very nice...even upamped..

Thanks for your input. I've also discovered the HD280 Pros for about $40 cheaper on amazon and that they are sealed whereas the HD555s are not. Disturbing others may be an issue, as well as compactness. How do those two compare? And is the HD555 worth the added price?

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Ive heard they dont compare. Ive heard bad things about the hd280s. Ive also heard that the k81 djs are even better. The k81djs are a pair of greatly muddy cans hahaha

take note that i havent heard the 280s and am only trying to interpolate from the general consensus on headfi. Ive had both the k81dj and the 555s and it is not even a question which one was better. In fact the 555s stomped all over my ms1s too and I preferred them over my k240s too.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive heard they dont compare. Ive heard bad things about the hd280s. Ive also heard that the k81 djs are even better. The k81djs are a pair of greatly muddy cans hahaha

take note that i havent heard the 280s and am only trying to interpolate from the general consensus on headfi. Ive had both the k81dj and the 555s and it is not even a question which one was better. In fact the 555s stomped all over my ms1s too and I preferred them over my k240s too.

Salamat gid...para sang imo na ....input? My god, this is what happens when you don't speak your mother tongue regularly.

Anyway, I think I will get the HD555. Unfortunately, I cannot get them at those big superstores, but I am awaiting responses from local vendors. I should plug my ears until they arrive.

Oh, on a side note, how long should you burn them in? And I d/l this pink noise flac file before. Would you recommend that?

Thank you.

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 10
I think that the grados are worth a listen before buying anything, hehe..

I was a sennheiser guy before whit the hd595 and liked them very, but then i heard the grados and i felt straight into them, they were all i wanted in a headphone..

But that doesn't mean that sennheisers are bad, just that I prefer grados in their sound..

But then again, there are many other cans you should listen to, but as in my case, there were problems for me to take a listen to most cans as there were only sony, koss, and grado i could review in my locale stores..

Good luck whit the search!!

Finn....

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Nine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think Grados or Allessandros would satisfy you for you music types. If you can hold out try and find a used HD595 here. I got a like new one for $130, which is right in your budget.

Yup, you got a point there, i mostly use the hd595 on such as tv, games, on computer surfin, and listening to random music types.

I think the hd595 are a nice sounding can and do not think i ever gonna sell them
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back