Headphone Advice (M50x vs. DT770 80Ohm vs. HD 598)
Nov 27, 2016 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gallegoajg

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone! I am new to the hi-fi world. I currently listen to music on IE sennheiser mm70s's but i was looking to get good headphones as they tend to hurt my ears after a while.

I was wondering if you could help me decide which headphone to get.

I mainly listen to vocal heavy tracks, folk/indie/singer-songwriter music and occasionally some EDM/top 40/Rap/R&B.

I will be listening to the headphones at home through a MacBook air and iPhone 6S, but i also do have a audio receiver I can plug them into in the living room. I will most likely be purchasing a usb amp/dac in the near future but not right now.

My choices for an all-around headphone are the ATH-M50x, Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm, or the Sennheiser HD 598. 

One of my first choices was the DT770 80 Ohm, but i'm a little concerned with the mids and if vocals will suffer from it. 

The 598's seem like a really good option as well but I'm not sure if the lack of bass will suit my genre types when i listen to edm/top 40.

I've heard a lot of good reviews for the M50x's as an overall headphone but I wanted something more comfortable for longer listening periods. 

If you could provide some insight that would be awesome! and feel free to give suggestions for other headphones to add in. Thanks in advance. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 5
Sennheiser just came out with the HD598CS (closed) headphone, should be easy for the Macbook and iPhone 6S to drive them.
The HD598CS offers more bass then the HD598.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 5
  Sennheiser just came out with the HD598CS (closed) headphone, should be easy for the Macbook and iPhone 6S to drive them.
The HD598CS offers more bass then the HD598.

I had been giving them some thought earlier but was skeptical on their performance compared to the HD598 (open). There currently aren't many in-depth reviews and i'm not sure if the mids/treble are similar to the open-back versions. Have you ever tried them or know how they compare to the originals? Thanks for your suggestion! 

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 5

I had been giving them some thought earlier but was skeptical on their performance compared to the HD598 (open). There currently aren't many in-depth reviews and i'm not sure if the mids/treble are similar to the open-back versions. Have you ever tried them or know how they compare to the originals? Thanks for your suggestion! 

I very much considered buying the HD598CS, as they dropped to $99 on amazon, for about 24 hours.
Just could not justify are reason for buying them.

The DT770 headphones (all Ohm versions) really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
something more powerful then the Macbook or iPhone.

The ATH-M50X are decent headphones for the price, lots of bass, but not really as good a quality sound as the Senn HD5XX series.

I'm not saying the HD598CS will be outstanding, just better then your other choices, for your use and sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back