Headphone Advice forum?
Mar 3, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
only to see them reply with "I don't wanna know specifics, I just want some testimonials and user opinions, geeze"

Lol... srsly.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

you mean this?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...-guide-271258/

or this?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rec...new-old-13417/

angry_face.gif

The problem may be due in part to the fact that they are too lazy to read through the threads, because they are not exactly what I would call a quick read. I personally would rather read every post of an entire thread so I can get as much information as I can out of it, as I am doing with the Hearyourself.com custom IEM Discussion thread. I did not know anything about custom-molded IEMs before I cam here, and the idea greatly interests me. So I am reading up on the subject, which is generally what normal people do.

Another part of the problem may be that they simply don't see the stickies, or they don't know to read them before posting questions that may have already been answered in the stickies.

Quote:

only to see them reply with "I don't wanna know specifics, I just want some testimonials and user opinions, geeze"

This statement is absolutely crazy, because buying a headphone based on someone saying "They sound fantastic" is not a good idea; while it will give you a very basic idea of the sound quality, it tells you nothing about the characteristics of that particular phone. One persons idea of fantastic may be another persons idea of terrible due to different preferences for sound that each person has. Par example, I absolutely love my ER6is, but my sister hates them. She says that they have no bass and are shrill, whereas I think the bass is fine and that the highs and mids are nice and crisp without being harsh. It just varies from person to person.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afro_Rebel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This statement is absolutely crazy

see theres your problem, you're rational, and probably learned how to read and write before the dawn of the internet (sadly true, anyone really wanna rebuke that?)

I've had that more or less exact line responded to me whenever I suggest someone go and read-up about a topic, "no I dont want to know everything, just give me some testimonial and opinion man, I just need to know how users feel about it" (of course with worse grammar, and almost no coherence)

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #22 of 28
Well, to be fair, at least people come here to ask. A lot of people go to Yahoo! Answers or people with no knowledge of headphones.

Also, a lot of people feel that it's safer to get a response tailored to their specific situation, and think that headphones recommended for someone else might not be perfect for them. It may be unnecessary to start a new thread but it makes them a little more confident with their decision. I know that just a matter of weeks ago I was like that.

Oh, and the headphone buyer's guide is not nearly detailed enough, in my opinion...

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

see theres your problem, you're rational, and probably learned how to read and write before the dawn of the internet (sadly true, anyone really wanna rebuke that?)

I've had that more or less exact line responded to me whenever I suggest someone go and read-up about a topic, "no I dont want to know everything, just give me some testimonial and opinion man, I just need to know how users feel about it" (of course with worse grammar, and almost no coherence)

Hes right.
biggrin.gif

I can't remember when I started learning to read and write, but I could do both by the time I was 6 1/2, and that was around the time I started Kindergarten back in 1996. I didn't 'come in contact' with the tubes of the internet until I was...9 I think, which is when I started playing the Wing Commander series with my dad.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #24 of 28
Meh, I thinnk a balance needs to be struck. To many people are just saying recommends me headphones, some though (the better half) have done some research and said I have found such and such to be to my liking (or at least from what I have read), could someone provide opinions/recommendations based on these. The second I have no problem with, its when people are to lazy to get to the second stage.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, I thinnk a balance needs to be struck. To many people are just saying recommends me headphones, some though (the better half) have done some research and said I have found such and such to be to my liking (or at least from what I have read), could someone provide opinions/recommendations based on these. The second I have no problem with, its when people are to lazy to get to the second stage.

I have to agree with you on that one. Seeing "what should I get" threads from people who have no idea what they want when there are ample resources at the top of the board drives me nuts; and I have only been here for a few days. Most of the information they could ever ask for is right there.

Perhaps these "Stage 1" threads, lets call them, get locked with a reply from the locking admin/mod directing them to the stickies at the top of the board. The only problem with this plan is that it may put off some of the newcomers who refuse to do something so simple as read. But then again, it may not be all bad...

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afro_Rebel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps these "Stage 1" threads, lets call them, get locked with a reply from the locking admin/mod directing them to the stickies at the top of the board. The only problem with this plan is that it may put off some of the newcomers who refuse to do something so simple as read. But then again, it may not be all bad...

Well if there not willing to read the information that is already available it is unlikely they will add much to this community. So I can't see the loss.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #28 of 28
I'm new to this forum, but I never posted a thread on what headphone I should buy. (However, I did make a thread asking about which amp would work well with the 650's).

There are already hundreds of threads on the subject. Threads discussing the sound qualities of virtually every headphone on the market.

As such, I was able to search/read numerous threads before making a purchase based on what I already know my sound preferences to be.

Even after doing all of that, I still was not completely satisfied/convinced that I got what I really wanted. I bought the AKG 701's based on the fact that I have a preference for speakers that are slightly on the bright side, and I HATE speakers that are veiled.

Well, the 701's are considered to be on the bright side, and HD 650's are often called "veiled", so the 701's seemed to be the right choice. But I found them to be a bit too bright.

So I bought the 650's, compared them to the 701's, and I prefer the 650's.

The point is that asking others what you should buy really isn't going to be all that helpful anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back