Headphone advice for MP3 player & fussy listener
May 17, 2006 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ceannrach

New Head-Fier
Hi. I have a Creative MuVo Mp3 player that I currently use with Sennheiser PX100's. I want some headphones which will cut out some (most ideally) of the ambient noise when I am on the tractor. I am pretty fussy about sound quality and like the PX100's, but can't hear a thing with the engine on (even worse with the ride on mower.....) I've read loads of reviews, but each one seems to contradict the other. I live in the North of Scotland, at least 50 miles from anywhere with a decent selection of headphones to try and a shop isn't necessarily the best place anyway. I use the MP3 player a lot, 4-7 hours a day so comfort is an issue. I listen to rock music mainly, especially gothic/black/viking metal. Any suggestions about what would be best (and available in the UK - can't find the Philips HP460's, for example) I'd prefer something without the added bulk of noise-cancelling gadgets and would ideally prefer over ear 'phones. Budget up to £100, but less would be great. I like the sound of the PX100's and would want something equal or better. Also looking to get a larger capacity MP3 player so any suggestions about that would be great. Not bothered about any gadgets, just sound quality. Apologies for butting in on a USA forum, but can't find a decent UK one.....)Appreciate your help.

May 17, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 13
Another fellow Brit to join the troupe, excellent!

I think that Sennheiser make a noise-cancelling box thing which you can plug your px100 into. Ive seen it sold together with the px200 somewhere. Maybe that would serve you well. Closed headphones would be another option, but might not be a good idea for tractor driving in case they isolate too well and that might be dangerous.

Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet.

May 17, 2006 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the quick replies. Actually the isolation on the tractor is what I want. I only use it on the croft at home so no dangers involved with my not being able to hear outside noises. I couldn't find any noise cancelling attachment for the PX100 on Sennheiser's site, but I'll look again. Just noticed the PX100's are now only £18 with Amazon......

May 17, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 13
It seems like there's quite a few Scottish users on Head-Fi after all! Team Scotland-Fi anyone?
orphsmile.gif

May 17, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 13
I guess there's always IEM's as well unless you don't like the idea. I know that, for me, the E2c are rather comfortable - I can put them in and forget about them for the most part - and I've not found anything that could isolate me from the rest of the worlds noise as well as they do.

May 17, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 13
If you don't want to spend as much and risk them getting damaged while working outside, the Senn HD201 might be a good option since they are about 1/3 the price of the AKG's.

May 17, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for all the advice. I'm not keen on the in-ear 'phones. I already have to keep taking the PX100's off as my wife always seems to want to talk when I have just put some music on and this would be a complete pain with IEM's. Seems like either AKG K81 DJ or Sennheiser HD 25 SP. Best price for the AKG's I can find is £45 and the Senns £69. Are the Sennheisers worth the extra? (Or Sennheiser HD280's for £75 - just keeps going doesn't it!). Appreciate all the replies

May 17, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by srapps55
If you don't want to spend as much and risk them getting damaged while working outside, the Senn HD201 might be a good option since they are about 1/3 the price of the AKG's.

But the only problem there is that the 201 really doesn't isolate well at all. They may be full-size cans, but there is little in the way of isolation.

May 17, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 13
For a tractor you´ll need serious isolation I would think. If your MP3 player has minimal EQ posibilities (at least a bit of controll over bass) I would recomend the HD280pro, certainly sound much better than the Px100, offer the best isolation out there (short of IEMs) and despite some sotries found on this site I believe they´re tanks that can take a beating. The bass will need a bit of a boost (but its a great, clean, faithfull bass). Burn in is VERY necessary with these phones.

Great buy, a bit more expensive than Px100s but well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back