Headphone/2.0 setup for my computer
Dec 3, 2017 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Blindsay04

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Looking to setup a 2.0/headphone setup for my computer. It will be a mix of music and games.

I have an idea of what i was thinking but wanted to see what you all thought.

Headphones: Sennheiser HD650 (I had these in the past and liked them, maybe if there was something similar but with a bit more bass that would be cool too. I am aware of the HD6XX but i have no desire to wait 3 months for them)

Amp/DAC combo: I was thinking either the Schiit Jotunheim (with the DAC module obviously) or an Emotiva DC-1.

Speakers: I was thinking the Emotiva Airmotiv6's (I run mostly their home theater gear and ive liked them).

The only kicker i havent figured out yet is i would like to integrate a SACD player to the setup (not sure how to best do that, get a player with its own good DAC and output analog or if i can somehow output digitally, dsd maybe, to a dac/amp combo)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 14
The Jot only has 1 digital input so if you go that route (I use it with headphones and studio monitors and love it) you'll have to find a sacd player with analog output. I can't help with that but I really like the 650 + Jot combo, especially running the cans balanced. The XLR out on the Jot sounds much better than the SE one, especially with the 650.

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 14
The Jot only has 1 digital input so if you go that route (I use it with headphones and studio monitors and love it) you'll have to find a sacd player with analog output. I can't help with that but I really like the 650 + Jot combo, especially running the cans balanced. The XLR out on the Jot sounds much better than the SE one, especially with the 650.

ah good catch, yeah that makes things a big more complicated. That means i would need to get a SACD player with a good DAC ($$$$)

Looks like the DC-1 is a bit more flexible then in terms of inputs

Edit: Maybe the Jotunheim (amp only) + Modi 2 ?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 14
Hey all,

Looking to setup a 2.0/headphone setup for my computer. It will be a mix of music and games.
I have an idea of what i was thinking but wanted to see what you all thought.
Headphones: Sennheiser HD650 (I had these in the past and liked them, maybe if there was something similar but with a bit more bass that would be cool too. I am aware of the HD6XX but i have no desire to wait 3 months for them)
Amp/DAC combo: I was thinking either the Schiit Jotunheim (with the DAC module obviously) or an Emotiva DC-1.
Speakers: I was thinking the Emotiva Airmotiv6's (I run mostly their home theater gear and ive liked them).
The only kicker I haven't figured out yet is i would like to integrate a SACD player to the setup (not sure how to best do that, get a player with its own good DAC and output analog or if i can somehow output digitally, DSD maybe, to a dac/amp combo)
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Did you have an over all budget for your audio setup?

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 14
ah good catch, yeah that makes things a big more complicated. That means i would need to get a SACD player with a good DAC ($$$$)

Looks like the DC-1 is a bit more flexible then in terms of inputs

Edit: Maybe the Jotunheim (amp only) + Modi 2 ?
The Jot is a bit of a waste to use with the Modi 2 IMO. The main benefit of the Jot and the reason it exists is 1) to use fully balanced, and 2) because it pushes an insane amount of power. I usually recommend either going Jot with DAC module and going balanced, or using it with the Mimby. I can't name anything off the top of my head but I'm sure there is a better amp for 400 bucks, but with the DAC module it's probably the best sounding fully balanced combo unit in production

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 14
The Jot is a bit of a waste to use with the Modi 2 IMO. The main benefit of the Jot and the reason it exists is 1) to use fully balanced, and 2) because it pushes an insane amount of power. I usually recommend either going Jot with DAC module and going balanced, or using it with the Mimby. I can't name anything off the top of my head but I'm sure there is a better amp for 400 bucks, but with the DAC module it's probably the best sounding fully balanced combo unit in production

Yeah fully balanced would be nice to have but its not a deal breaker for me. Any thoughts on the Emotiva DC-1?

Edit: with $1000 to spend do you think i should spend more on the headphones or power or split it 50/50?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 14
Dec 3, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 14
Dec 3, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for the suggestion on the dac/amp.

for the Airmotiv6, they also do have a balanced XLR input

Yea, the Airmotive6 has both balanced (XLR) and un-balanced (RCA) inputs.
My two cents is unless you doing serious (or professional) audio creation, balanced is just not going to be that big a deal (my two cents).
I'm on my third DAC/amp from Audio-GD (bought the NFB-11.28 last month), no regrets.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Yea, the Airmotive6 has both balanced (XLR) and un-balanced (RCA) inputs.
My two cents is unless you doing serious (or professional) audio creation, balanced is just not going to be that big a deal (my two cents).
I'm on my third DAC/amp from Audio-GD (bought the NFB-11.28 last month), no regrets.

ah gotcha, sorry, thought you were implying they didnt have them.

And yeah it I wouldn't spend a bunch extra to get it, but if i can get it in the same price range it doesnt seem bad.

the ordering process for Audio-GD seems to be a bit of a pain though?

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 14
ah gotcha, sorry, thought you were implying they didnt have them.
And yeah it I wouldn't spend a bunch extra to get it, but if i can get it in the same price range it doesn't seem bad.
the ordering process for Audio-GD seems to be a bit of a pain though?

I've always thought ordering from Audio-GD is too simple.
You send (email) them (guys at Audio-GD) the product name and upgrades (like TCXO) of what you want, tell them your name and full shipping address.
Usually with in a hour or two (during normal working hours, in Hong Kong), they quote you the full price (unit cost, plus shipping, plus 3.7% Paypal fee) and the email address to use for payment thru PayPal.
You send the payment using PayPal, then the unit is usually shipped out (from Hong Kong) with in two or three days and takes 4 to 7 days shipping time to arrive.
It usually takes about 7 to 8 days, from the time I send the payment, for the unit to arrive to me, in California.

Any SACD player, with a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output, should be able to be connected to the Audio-GD (use USB connection for your computer).

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 14
On the headphone front, I like the way the 650s sound but if i wanted a bit more bass without really giving up any sound quality (even if its more money) any suggestions?
Software EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back