headphile replacement cable for the 590
Jan 23, 2005 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI: I just ordered a 590 replacement cable for my 590. the stock cable sounded just fine but was just to long. The www.headphile.com replacement cable is only 39 inches and I will use it for portable use with my portable radio. Also the price was great. Has anyone else bought this replacement cable? If so how does it sound?

Jan 23, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 6
Which one is it? Copper, silver, or hybrid?

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 6
I can confirm that Larry's (Headphile) replacement cable for the 590 is silver. He has a new silver/copper replacement cable called the Black Max but it is not available for certain headphone replacement cables like the HD 590.

So silver is your only choice for that one. I have a 2 meter HD 590 Headphile cable that I use with my computer setup. It's a very nice sounding cable. It tames the low end of the HD 590 to some extent and gives it a smooth sounding midrange. The highs of the 590 are not the best but they don't sound too bad with Larry's cable. I've also ordered an Equinox HD 590 cable to compare them soundwise, but it won't arrive for 5 months.

Certainly from the standpoint of ergonomics, Larry's cables have no competition. His cables are light, very flexible, and have a nice cloth feel with little or no microphonics, unlike techflex cables which can be wiry, spindly, relatively heavy and inflexible (the Equinox is also highly microphonic I have read). Depending on what you need, Larry's cable may very well be the best option out there.

I'd also like to mention that his cables are as well built as any I have ever seen and built better than some I have seen that cost significantly more. And Larry has exceptional customer service. He allowed me to switch my first E-mu cable for a smaller size, and was very helpful in general with lightning fast turnaround.

I have Headphile cables for my HD 25, HD 212, E-MU 404 and HD 590. My HD 212 is the first one with a silver Headphile cable to replace the terrible 10 foot stock wire. The HD 212 is my favorite outdoor portable phone, and Larry's cable makes it dramatically better, improving the sound in every imaginable way (from taming the overexagerrated bass, to smoothing the midrange and easing the extension of the highs).

The improvement is especially dramatic because the stock cable is so bad to begin with. When I plug the stock cable in I immediately notice how harsh, strained and tired the stock cable sounds. Larry's cable is smooth and effortless in comparison and it makes the HD 212 sound better in every way, with more detail and a nice overall musical sound.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 6
The cable sounds better than stock. Bass is punchier. Highs are sharp. But, the whole sound is more balanced.

this is true without break-in, probably because the cable is lower resistance than the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back