Headphile picture thread
Jul 10, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #63 of 91
So much good looking wood, too bad i would need to win the lotto to be able to afford it because college tuition and books seem to make my wallet hide from me when i start to think about more headphone stuffs

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #64 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAP7
PIMP my cans...

I still don't get it. I don't doubt the craftsmanship, but I can't work out why?!!

They are, in my opinion, like wearing a cheap acrylic jumper with "Calvin Klein" emblazoned accross it.
I prefer the cotton CK jumper with the label inside, myself.

Not for me, at all. Originals are nearly always better, unless you are talking cars. And then, updgrades that work are always to improve performance. Anything for looks... never a good idea.

But I know I'm in a minority here.

[Almost] exactly my opinion.

Man, we are in the 21st century and this is technical stuff and for me it has to look like technical stuff and not like a piece of victorian furniture.

I even don't understand why loudspeakers are still built of wood nowadays when there are so many high-tech materials that look a lot cleaner and are acoustically at least as good as wood.

And cars: why do many people like wood in their cars? Leather is fine but I just don't want a BMW M5 with quite a lot of Formula1-stuff inside to look like a lame car of the 1930s.

But if you're getting sentimental and romantic with this retro stuff in your hands that's ok, but even if I had the money to pimp my stuff like that I would definitely stick to my standard HD650-grills and to my aluminium speakers and to my car's boring but functional plastic interior.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #65 of 91
No problem with those photos!

....other than it makes me want to get my MS-1s off to Larry right away!!

Ok; Woodied MS-1s with bowls......How do they sound compared to standard MS-1s with comfies or 414s??!

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #66 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphos

Man, we are in the 21st century and this is technical stuff and for me it has to look like technical stuff and not like a piece of victorian furniture.

I even don't understand why loudspeakers are still built of wood nowadays when there are so many high-tech materials that look a lot cleaner and are acoustically at least as good as wood.

And cars: why do many people like wood in their cars? Leather is fine but I just don't want a BMW M5 with quite a lot of Formula1-stuff inside to look like a lame car of the 1930s.

But if you're getting sentimental and romantic with this retro stuff in your hands that's ok, but even if I had the money to pimp my stuff like that I would definitely stick to my standard HD650-grills and to my aluminium speakers and to my car's boring but functional plastic interior.

The fact that different materials will product different sonics in a transducer housing IS technical, and a matter of physics. Wood and plastic housings will sound different.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #67 of 91
Quote:

Ok; now I understand my problem.

My Dad was born during the Victorian era(in the 1800s!)and he must have instilled some of that old timey stuff in me!

Real wood, real leather! Yeah!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #68 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
The fact that different materials will product different sonics in a transducer housing IS technical, and a matter of physics. Wood and plastic housings will sound different.

That's true but plastic is an artificial product and can be developed with many different characteristics and I doubt that it's impossible to even tune it to sound like wood. This would require a lot of engineering though.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #69 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Ok; now I understand my problem.

My Dad was born during the Victorian era(in the 1800s!)and he must have instilled some of that old timey stuff in me!

Real wood, real leather! Yeah!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't get me wrong.

Victorian furniture is fine as what it is: victorian furniture.
And real leather and wood are fine too.
I'm just sitting on my beloved black leather office chair with mahagony armrests that I got almost twenty years ago when I was seven (yes, I'm a spoiled child :wink: ).
But I don't want my technical equipment to look like my furniture and I would never think of beautifying my laptop with some connolly leather and some nice ash leaf maple around the screen.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #70 of 91
Quote:

[Almost]

then don't buy one. no one cares.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

That's true but plastic is an artificial product and can be developed with many different characteristics and I doubt that it's impossible to even tune it to sound like wood. This would require a lot of engineering though.

So what you're saying is, using wood to sound like wood is easier, cheaper, and better.

I'm in agreement with you in one respect; I think if you've got a certain budget, there are almost definitely more notable improvements to be made than by modding with wood and cables. However, if you have the money to do it, and the stock version of a certain headphone is already the "ultimate" to you, then it can be a very useful tool to improve the headphone, both in sound quality (maybe, maybe not), aesthetics (to match your system, or just to look better in and of itself), and in longevity (cheap plastic housings and cheap cables tend to not last as long as Larry's nice upgraded ones), for a headphone you care about.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg

That's the freedom of market economy. But one of this forum's main purposes seems to be the possibility to exchange opinions. So if you don't care about mine that's fine too. I'm sure someone will.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #73 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg

X2, this is the Headphile picture thread, if you don't like the woodied cans, don't buy one, leave the people who do want to buy them or have them, out of your argument, we like what we like.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #74 of 91
Quote:

Don't get me wrong.

Victorian furniture is fine as what it is: victorian furniture.
And real leather and wood are fine too.
I'm just sitting on my beloved black leather office chair with mahagony armrests that I got almost twenty years ago when I was seven (yes, I'm a spoiled child :wink: ).
But I don't want my technical equipment to look like my furniture and I would never think of beautifying my laptop with some connolly leather and some nice ash leaf maple around the screen.

Now wait a minute!! Connoly leather on a laptop!!?? Hmmmmm.....yeah.....Connoly leather on a laptop!!

The right stuff in the right place according to the likes and desires of the consumer!! That's where having a choice is fun!! But, uh, I find Victorian furniature to be hideously uncomfortable; yuck!

My computer chair is chrome and fabric. Double yuck; I feel cheated!!

Jul 10, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #75 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
So what you're saying is, using wood to sound like wood is easier, cheaper, and better.

Sorry, I don't get it: using wood that sounds like wood will be as cheap as wood is.
But if you meant plastic that sound like wood: I only said that I guess that it's possible to produce plastic that sounds like wood. But why would one only want the sound of wood? For centuries it was impossible to produce violins of anything else than wood. Nowadays they can already be made of carbon fiber and they are getting better and better. And of course they are much sturdier than those made of wood. But it seems that they don't hit a ertain nostalgic feeling. Otherwise they would be even more sophisticated and a lot wider spread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back