HeadMaster versus RKV-II
Jan 25, 2004 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nounours

New Head-Fier
Hi,

In order to drive my HD-600, I am about to buy one of these 2 amp.

My priority is the sound quality (the preamp features available with the Headmaster are not really a priority).

So, what is the best : the Sugden Headmaster or the AudioValve RKV-II ???

Thanks for your advices !

N.

Jan 25, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 7
You are comparing tubes and solid state so, depending on your taste, they will each have their strengths.

I would say that there are quite a few solid state amps that are as good as, and some better than, the Sugden, and (at just over half the price) I include my gspaudio Solo in that group.

There are many reviews and threads about these amps (including usage with the Senn 6x0 phones) so a search may provide some of the information that you require.

Here is one RKV review:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=14238

Simon

Jan 25, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 7
The AudioValve RKV Mk II does a marvelous job of driving HD600s; Sorry I can't compare it to the Sugden for you. I bought my RKV two years ago on the strength of its critical reviews, on its automatic solid state circuit controlling the tube bias current, on the ready availability and low cost of its tubes, and that it was not sensitive to different tube brands or tube matching. I have been very happy with mine.

You would also benefit greatly from an aftermarket cable for your HD600s.
600smile.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
The AudioValve RKV Mk II does a marvelous job of driving HD600s;

I would have to agree on the RKV comments. I have had mine about a year now and I am constantly amazed at the quality of the sound. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon listening to some old STYX records on a SOTA Moonbeam and was taken back by the sound quality and how engaging it became.

Jan 27, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 7
I've heard both, and prefer the RKV. It delivers amazing midrange and incredibly satisfying bass that is probably better than any other amp I've tried.

The Sugden does have its merits, though. I think it is the smoothest "liquidy" sounding solid-state amp I've ever heard. Highs are crystalline, but not bright. I probably would have bought one if it delivered more bass.

Jan 27, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 7
Listening to the Headmaster briefly at a Meet, it is indeed pretty smooth. Yeah, the bass was pretty disappointing, but it was nice and flat. Man, but what a beefy looking amp!

Another bonus if the RKV can drive the K1000's (I haven't heard it myself) should you want to go that route in the future. The Sudgen was not up to the task though there.....

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back