Headless Music Player/DAC
Feb 17, 2022 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bibbs

100+ Head-Fier
ok i know about RPi and its hifiberry hats etc.etc as i have played with them in the past.

i'm looking for a more box ready solution and not RPi etc.etc based. not interested in streaming services or wifi/server or bluetooth. i'm looking for a DAC with line out that can take HDD's or MicroSD as local storage and using a smartphone/tablet as the interface.

at the moment i have Fiio X3 II using line out plugged into a Schiit Asgard 3 and while it does what i need i would like to loose the cable between the DAP interface and my hand.

so any suggestions?

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 7
It might overkill but the Node 2i can play from a USB drive and the software is really good.

Feb 25, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks, i had a look at the Node 2 and was almost tempted. i'm also tempted by the Ifi streamer but typical Ifi dont give out enough details and i had to
go seaaaaarrrrching the net to find out how it works and yes its a headless streamer that can use USB connected local files. only problem with the Ifi is that i need another box like the Ifi Zen.

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 7
its a minefield out there. looks like there are plenty "streamers" but when you start adding in headphone amps and USB local storage the price rockets.

the ifi Streamer looks like what i was needing and its still the best contender along with the Bluesound NODE mk3.

i would like the ifi streamer but i would need to get the headamp to match or my OCD will kick in and looking at the specs from ifi (take with a pinch of salt) the power output is meagre compared to my Schiit asgard 3 which i already play at 3oclock low gain 48r and high gain 600r.

bluesound give no figure for their headphone output so i presume its even worse than ifi and at best a token gesture.

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Agreed, the headphone jack is pointless and should have been replaced by another digital in/out. I don't use mine in my headstation, I use it for a tertiary system with an integrated amp. It's very handy in that situation.

For headstation use, I use a fanless PC. Headphone cables are only so long, so if I'm listening to headphones I don't need any kind of remote control.

Mar 3, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 7
the lack of manufacturer information regarding what they classify as a "remote" or "player" or "software" is mind boggling and seems to be an afterthought. they are ALL concentrating on the use of naff bluetooth connectivity or internet streaming.

nobody does a decent priced all in one.

think i'll dig out the RPi and diy headamp again. that thing could bounce the cans off my head if i wanted.

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Decent priced all in one streamer? Check ifi brand, they get a lot of love here and the rep is a respected member of the forums.

Good headamps don't grow on trees, and they cost money. Depending on your headphones an all-in-one is not usually the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back