Heading to Japan in August. What are some the top headphones sold there
Jun 30, 2015 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ctsooner22

1000+ Head-Fier
where I can get a good deal and outstanding sound.  I want a closed back or noise cancelling headphone.   Looking at top of the line stuff, not mid fi.  Thanks...

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 12
Nothing? I thought there may be some of you in Japan who could help me out. I know that I'll be basing most of our travel out of Kobe.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 12
Spent most of my time in Tokyo so Akihabara is where its at.  However, Kobe is close enough to Osaka and there's a e-earphone shop in Osaka as well.  

Either way, I can't vouch that they're always the cheapest, but given then Yen<->$$ rates, it's still cheaper than the states.  Finally....unlike in the states, the Akihabara store has pretty much every headphone available on the market there for you to try out so you can dial down what you really like (provided you have the time)........at the least the Akihabara store had it all.....I'm uncertain about the Osaka branch.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Buying headphones in Japan and looking for a good deal and outstanding sound really means looking for used headphones.  There are other threads here talking about the various shops (Fujiya Avic, e-Earphone) that specialize in used cans.  If I were you, I'd probably, in addition to checking out those shops, also surf around Yahoo Japan Auctions. 

I personally always preferred going to Nakano over Akiba, but maybe that's just because I lived on the western half of the Yamanote.  But both locations are worth a trip.

I've been thinking a bit about closed high-end cans for a friend of mine who needs one.  Hard to find, but I'd try and find an ATH-L3000, W11JPN, W10VTG all depending on the price point and if in good condition.  If the budget includes an amp, I'd consider pairing the W3000 with its HA3000, or maybe some of the newer audio-technica closed stuff.

Maybe a bit mid-fi, but I'd pick up another Sony MDR-1R mk 2, which was a Japan only model.  Nice balance of portability and pretty nice sound quality for what it is.  Its successor 1A is certainly the better headphone, but I don't like how it's bass heavy and find myself going back to the R1mk2.

Good luck!

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks all.  I can't wait to get over there.  

Feb 13, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 12
What an amazing trip. Went to e headphones the first day. Met their buyer through a manufacturer I’m close with. Showed me all around. Had a great time in the store. Got to listen to all the top DAP’s on my own ER Odins. Fell in love with a few. So different sound. Just amazing compared to my normal 2 channel world.

The top Cayin 8ii and top Sony were outstanding. Would love to own either. Got to also hear the new Sony that wasn’t dropped until last week I believe. Showed major promise I. It’s price range.

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 12
You should try the Tago studio T3 01 if you get the chance. These are handmade in Japan.
Too late lol. We are back now. It was an amazing trip. Never heard of the Tago brand, but I’m mostly a 2 channel person. Thanks for sharing though. I’ll look for that line if I ever have a chance.

Feb 14, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #11 of 12
Haha damn, I just realised the date. My bad :)
It’s all good. Wish I knew ahead. Always love hearing new things. Thanks anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back