Heading to China (Dalian and Beijing), any deals?
Apr 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

That dude

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going over to china on a study trip of a whopping 7 weeks (5 in Dalian, and 2 in Beijing). I'd like to know if there are places that I should go to look for anything audio (headphones or not). I know I should be posting this on erji.net, but my mandarin (especially for the audio jargon) is simply not up to scratch. So, any recommendations?

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 14
free bump as this is relevant to my interests, will be heading to shenzhen, HK, Canton in a week

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 14
several places in Beijing. Don't remember the particulars. DV is only sold behind a little counter inside a gigantic electronics mall. The price there was reasonable.

Honestly, the only worthwhile brands from China are darkvoice and Spark (Cayin). But since Spark stopped making their headphone amp for the Chinese market, DV is the only maker left. Other amps are a waste of money.

I don't think people in China think too highly of Audio-gd (sp?), Spark is usually go-to brand for domestic audio - cheaper and better than Audio -gd for non-headphone equipments.

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 14
Hong Kong's main places are mingo (map) and kingsound as well as the underground mall mentioned earlier. If looking for an amp, try Audio Physics - really chill and good selection. Also hunt around for amp bargains, not necessarily on Chinese models, but also European and Asian models. Don't expect amazing bargains or tons of fakes or anything like that, just a slightly different product mix and prices. There's a good thread from a year or two ago, more or less still applicable.

Additionally, it helps if you look like a customer. Because I am young and look even younger, I quite often have trouble getting service, get an attitude etc... (not limited to Hong Kong, really). Until the day I got some ESW10JPNs from mingo at least
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hong Kong's main places are mingo (map) and kingsound as well as the underground mall mentioned earlier.

What an irony. I spent 25 years there and I didn't discover those places until I left for good.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by choka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What an irony. I spent 25 years there and I didn't discover those places until I left for good.

Happens to us all. When I left New York (well not 100% for good) I finally found time to really explore the dining scene... in my last two weeks. When'd you leave? The headphone scene was there in 2005/6 but really seemed to pick up 2007ish...

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happens to us all. When I left New York (well not 100% for good) I finally found time to really explore the dining scene... in my last two weeks. When'd you leave? The headphone scene was there in 2005/6 but really seemed to pick up 2007ish...

I think I left HK in 2004... interesting, I went to CUHK as well.

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 14
chesebert, where in beijing is darkvoice anyway? Any ideas?

I appreciate the extra info, but I still need more places to visit in Dalian and Beijing guys! (Oh, and I am aware that Jaben has a branch there now).

May 18, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 14
I'm already at my last couple of weeks in China, any ideas as to where to find good deals?

May 18, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 14
Is it better to find a Chinese audio website for locating the audio shop in China?  Since you are alread in China, find someone who can help you, if you don't want to input in Chinese to do your search.

From erji.net, I got this store (after clicking on jaben北京)

Jaben北京

北京市 朝阳区 建国路88号 SOHO现代城A1613房间  010-85895733

地铁  大望路站  B出口  出地面既是SOHO 现代城    请您找到A 座  1613房

Good luck and report back to us.

May 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
but OP is not going to Shenzhen nor Hong Kong

For Hong Kong I'm pretty sure the underground mall (closed in the google pic) right of the Nike shop is one of the places you want to go to.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...140.85,,0,7.41

Oh yeah, I stumbled upon that place when I was over there with my family early last year(I was actually with them when I bumped into there). There was a small shop on the right of the entrance selling headphones and RSA amps, while the rest had like tubes and other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back