Headfive with hd650?
Oct 29, 2006 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

atlings

New Head-Fier
Help! I've got upgradeitis...

I've been lurking these forums for a few days, and I've already reserved the Headfive and I'm seriously considering buying some hd650s. I'm using an x-fi soundcard and Grado sr80s at the moment. My question is: Would the Headfive and the Senns be a bad combination - since they're both supposed to be a bit warmish? I live in Portugal, where there's no chance of auditioning anything at all, so I'll have to rely on your collective wisdom...

atle

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 4
Tried the HD-650s and HD-580s with my HeadFive and indeed together they were to warm and dark together in my experience! Decided to give the 701s an audition, and I'm very pleased with the H5 / 701 rig now! Much clearer midrange details, airy highs with less promenence given to the fully present bass extention.
For that amp system match with the 650s is a no no; As you point out: Warm/Dark with Warm/Dark.... No fault of the Headphone alone, together (IME) they do not match well!

Best of luck-

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 4
I have to agree, HD580s and the Headfive were way too dark and laid back together. The HD580 deserves a much more aggressive and brighter amp to shine. I'd look into Beyer DT880 or DT990s or AKG K601 or K701s as a better match to the Headfive. Grado/Alessandros would also make a wonderful match.

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 4
I haven't heard any Senns paired with the H5, but I can tell you for sure that my SR225s sound awesome driven by it, especially when listening to slow, fuzzy spacerock or shoegaze.

By tomorrow I'll be able to give you some H5/K501 impressions, since the ones I ordered from zzounds will be arriving
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back