headfive vs. RA-1 - is it a slam dunk?
Jan 2, 2007 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OpusRob

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, forget my previous post re the Fisher amp. Is the headfive the same as, a little better than, or head and shoulders above the RA-1 for use with MS2i? I want something easy to use and move around with me (hoping to stay attached to my phones as much as possible once they get here!). In either case, I would be looking for something used. I assume that the battery version of the RA-1 would be the better choice of that amp. I don't know much about the Headfive - battery? Thanks for any help.

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 6
LOL...No, neither the RA1 nor the Headfive is "portable".

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 6
what I really mean by "portable" is that it can be moved from my family room to my basement system when I feel like it. I didn't mean to imply that it would be pod-sized and on-the-go-ish.

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpusRob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I really mean by "portable" is that it can be moved from my family room to my basement system when I feel like it. I didn't mean to imply that it would be pod-sized and on-the-go-ish.

transportable then. yep if that's what you meant.

read/search

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 6
During the recent Vancouver meet we had both showing up. To my impressions, at least with a RS-1, the RA-1 are much better suited to Grado-style cans than the Headfive. The Headfive simply sounds too harsh in the high range to properly feed the Grado.

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by eVITAERC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
During the recent Vancouver meet we had both showing up. To my impressions, at least with a RS-1, the RA-1 are much better suited to Grado-style cans than the Headfive. The Headfive simply sounds too harsh in the high range to properly feed the Grado.

That would concern me - I am trying to get away from harsh highs. Anybody else with a similar experience, or positives to say about the RA-1? I know there are lots of people with lots to say about the RA-1 in general, but how is its SQ (forget about the cost of the thing for the time being). Remember, it will be almost entirely MS2i usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back