HeadFive vs. portables
Apr 5, 2007 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

senns&nonsense

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought my first amp, a headfive, and I am enjoying it with my 595s and 4th Gen iPod. In fact I like to so much that I am missing an amp when not at my desk. Can some of the portable amp masters here compare the sound quality of the headfive vs. the usual suspect portables, i.e. go-vibes, RSA, xenos, etc.

I really do not want an additional amp, but rather one that can live on my desk but also go out with me and my dog. With a budget around $200 (less would be great) how much SQ will I be sacrificing? Even if I spend more will the headfive still have spoiled me for something portable?

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 13
Appreciate anyone with some insight.... AKA bump......

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 13
I've never heard the Headfive so I can't comment on its performance vs. a good portable. If large size would be an issue for the portable, the Xenos 1HA-EPC might not work for you but based on Skylabs review and its lithium battery, crossfeed and nice case, I can't help but want one.

http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...ntro-page.html

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks - the xenos does look like an option.

Anyone else with some comparative insights????

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 13
My advice is to send the iPod to Redwine and THEN upgrade your amp. Reason is atm you won't get much better sound until the source is upgraded. I have an iMod and a $110 MisterX XP amp that will smoke any standard iPod combo.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My advice is to send the iPod to Redwine and THEN upgrade your amp. Reason is atm you won't get much better sound until the source is upgraded. I have an iMod and a $110 MisterX XP amp that will smoke any standard iPod combo.

Good plan. I was just going to mention something to that effect. The source makes a much greater difference than the amp. I really don't care to lug around an amp or spend several hundred dollars getting a great portable source, so I just live with the DAP+IEM sound quality.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 13
I listen to a lot of rock and classical (mostly chamber) and enjoy great vocalists.

I am considering the iMod, but if I just looking for more utility out of one amp I thought I would switch to something portable and wondered if i would lose alot when desk-based.

Seems like a bithead might be a good idea as that way I will get the DAC too and have an amp for on-the-go.

Thanks for the advice!

Apr 19, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Perhaps you should check out the Porta Corda MKIII USB as well. Jan has lowered the prices. I received mine today, and it sounds really good. It uses the same opamps as the Headfive. It's not in the same league as the Headfive though (after all, it is a portable). The output with the DAC is also very weak. It might work Ok with your HD595 though.

As for the Imod, I guess it could be a worthwile upgrade. I haven't heard the Imod, but I have done a lineout-mod on my Ipod Photo myself (using Black Gate caps) and it really "opened up" the sound.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joze7205 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you should check out the Porta Corda MKIII USB as well... It uses the same opamps as the Headfive. It's not in the same league as the Headfive though (after all, it is a portable). The output with the DAC is also very weak. It might work Ok with your HD595 though.

I don't share that same experience using the DAC with mine. I use my Porta Corda MkIII-USB at home with my notebook PC as its full time use( except this week
tongue.gif
). I use a 30 volt wall wart and power is very strong. It drives my HD 650 & DT-880 very well and sounds clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back