Headfive or LDII++
Dec 7, 2006 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Advil

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, I have the DT770 pro/80 and the HD595 and I need an amp. But these two are around the same price now and I can't decide which one to get!

I listen to a lot of rock and classical/vocal music so which do you think I should have.

Getting a little dot is a lot easier since they aren't sold out, and they're 200 bucks shipped now for the holidays.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 9
I vote H5. Much better resale value and potential collector's item.

LDII+ was good value at $150, but LDII++ at $200 may not be worth it. Tubes are a hassle anyway, and the tubes on the LDs are not easy to get and tube rolling options are severely limited (basically nonexistant with LDII+ and only one or two tubes with LDII++).

The LDII does come with pre-amp out, though, that could come in handy sometimes. LDII++ is also a beautiful looking amp, the H5 looks a little plain in comparison IMO.

Let us know what you decide!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 9
I've never heard the LDII++ before but I have compared the Headfive with a LDII+ before and the Headfive is the clear winner. Bass is tight and not as muddy as the LDII+, the headfive also has a clearer sound.

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 9
Valve (tube) amps are over-hyped - too much of the 'Emperor's New Clothes'. They are always operating on the verge of disaster and there is a great deal of BS spread about different valve brands. This is written by someone who has spent years and lots of money on valve amps. Good ones sound terrific but the hassle can be too much finding stable tubes. A lot of junk valves come out of Russia and NOS is usually so overpriced it is no joke.

Get a Headfive - it is a superb amp and you also get crossfeed with it.

You will nor be disappointed
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote H5. Much better resale value and potential collector's item.

LDII+ was good value at $150, but LDII++ at $200 may not be worth it. Tubes are a hassle anyway, and the tubes on the LDs are not easy to get and tube rolling options are severely limited (basically nonexistant with LDII+ and only one or two tubes with LDII++).

The LDII does come with pre-amp out, though, that could come in handy sometimes. LDII++ is also a beautiful looking amp, the H5 looks a little plain in comparison IMO.

Let us know what you decide!
smily_headphones1.gif

Surely Beauty is in the [size=medium]EAR [/size]of the beholder ??
confused.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Pay attention to jirams, he knows his craft :wink: H5 will provide you with hours and hours of quality listening pleasure and it must be more reliable on a long run even if you get a used one.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 9
Heh, i bought my h5 because my brother had the ld2+ and we wanted to compare ss and tubes in roughly the same (cheap) price range. after a few weeks of comparing i've decided to sell my h5 for a tube amp.

crossfeed is a cool feature i suppose if you like it. i prefer it off though, narrows the soundstage to my ears.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 9
I dont think anyone can deny the fact that tube amps have their own special signature that solid-state amps cannot achieve. Every type of amps has its flaws, but it depends on are you willing to live with it. Personally, i think tube amps are the way to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back