HEADFIVE amp pairs / has synergy with....????
Jun 29, 2006 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

boberang

Head-Fier
OK, I read through the HEADFIVE review thread (16 pages!) and it appears many think Grado would have good synergy, others have been posing the HD595's are great with it, and a couple comments that even the 701's would be great (stemming from a similar question to this on page 13).

My question is for those who have a couple different headphones and the H5 amp, or with good knowledge, what headphone would you get? Would prefer to spend under $200-$300, but could go up to $400 if it was really worth it. Music preference is all over (vocals, pop, jazz, alternative, 70's rock, classical, no rap or country though) and I like musical over super bass or lots of treble. Although I do like bass too. :) Dislike high pitch screaching treble. Greater soundstage would be a plus.

I know I am asking for headphones, but it is to pair with the H5 amp, thus this forum will hopefully prove a better match than the headphone forum where I already posted last week.

Replacing Allessandro M1's btw, which I liked a lot but wonder if something else would be better with the HEADFIVE.

Jun 29, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 24
I've been using my Headfive with a pair of Grado SR-225s and the combo is VERY good. The 225 has been reviewed as one of the least strident of the Grados in terms of the GraTo sound. I like the pairing better than with my MS-1s to the point that I'm considering selling the MS-1s and maybe getting the 225s Headphiled.

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 24
The DT770 80 ohm works well with it. The 990 is an open version, I think. Huge sound and at the moment, I think that the mids are slightly better. I say for the moment because I haven't done 75 hours yet.

Ian

Jun 29, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jriems
Anyone try the H5 with DT990 Pro, regular, or oooooold flavors? My H5 should be here in a few days, and I'd like to know how these sound with it.

I have used the DT990/250 (recent but pre 2005 version). Sounded great. The H5 tames the highs and brings up the mids of the DT990 a bit. A synergystic match IMO.

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhatusc
I've been using my Headfive with a pair of Grado SR-225s and the combo is VERY good. The 225 has been reviewed as one of the least strident of the Grados in terms of the GraTo sound. I like the pairing better than with my MS-1s to the point that I'm considering selling the MS-1s and maybe getting the 225s Headphiled.

Huh, guess I was thinking the MS-1s and the Grado 225s were suppose to be similar sounding headphones! But it was quite some time ago I read reviews.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 24
Still debating this amp over a Headroom Mico. So any information would be great on these cans!

FLAC -> XFi -> coax -> ???? amp -> ???? dac -> DT880

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 24
Right now i'm liking the HD650 and HF1 combo with the headfive, and the HD650 over the HF1, but both have synergy. right now, despite what i read, i'm not liking the HD595 with it.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 24
I'm liking the presentation that these HD-650s bring to the H5 chain due to my Squeezebox source affording me a much greater variety of playable music perhaps the AGK-701 would not allow. I also detest any "screaching" as you say. The Hd-650s bass is controled nicely by the H5... So, for longer term sessions and utility, I'll come down on this warm sonic signature preferance knowingly giving up some detail & air a more analytical can(AKG-701) may offer. So yea, comes down to some preferances and how you are going to use it,paired with what source and what quality of recordings.

Best bet, as they say, is to try it out and hear it after narrowing it all down...

P.S. The AGK-701s are on the way for my final decision!

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 24
I wouldn't recommend using silver interconnects with the Head-Five. It gets really bright and SSSSSybillant, blows for me since my best sounding (not to mention most expensive) cable is made from silver
mad.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 24
For me K 701's sound fantastic with this amp, I don't find the highs harsh at all, and found the sound very open and detailed with a nice "bloom." I also listened to my very old 600 ohm DT 990's and they also sounded excellent, as did a 2004 model of DT 880's, but overall I felt the K 701's really had excellent synergy with this amp.

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 24
I think I'm going to couple my headfive with 2/3 different cans.

1 fun can, 1 bass and aggressive can and 1 Clean can.

Clean can: HD595 (ordered)
Bass and aggressive: DT990?
Fun: Could be a grado, like a HF-1 would fit both the former and the latter

Apart from that I think I have my home setup planned. I just need to make myself a portable source convertable to the home system and I'm set. I'm thinking 5th gen 60gb video with dock, so I can take it on the go and save myself a wad of cash on getting a portable and home source.

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I think I'm going to couple my headfive with 2/3 different cans.

1 fun can, 1 bass and aggressive can and 1 Clean can.

Clean can: HD595 (ordered)
Bass and aggressive: DT990?
Fun: Could be a grado, like a HF-1 would fit both the former and the latter

Can't say for certain, but if you're looking for a bass can that's agressive, (although I've never auditioned it) perhaps the A900 is what you're looking for. My current bass can is a stock 770 (stepped in when after I was forced to sell my darth beyers), and I love it but it's not what I'd call 'agressive'-- very bassy and laid back IMO. I suspect the 990 shares some of the same characteristcs as its closed counterpart.

Jun 30, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1
For me K 701's sound fantastic with this amp, I don't find the highs harsh at all, and found the sound very open and detailed with a nice "bloom." I also listened to my very old 600 ohm DT 990's and they also sounded excellent, as did a 2004 model of DT 880's, but overall I felt the K 701's really had excellent synergy with this amp.

+1

My 701's sound great with the H5.
icon10.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1
I also listened to my very old 600 ohm DT 990's and they also sounded excellent, as did a 2004 model of DT 880's, but overall I felt the K 701's really had excellent synergy with this amp.

That's good news about the 600 ohm 990s. I'm really looking forward to my H5 getting here so I can put it through it's paces...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back