headfi convert, headphones for $200-300
Jun 8, 2008 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kilgoretrout

100+ Head-Fier
Which open headphones would be a good match for? I'm looking to spend $200-300 on headphones, and I'll probably build a CMoy amp if an amp is recommended. I'm looking for the headphones that will provide the most immersive experience for rock, though rap is important to me as well.

The preferred design of headphones for me is the circumaural with a single sided cable input.

Also, I don't mind getting a used pair of headphones.

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 20
i imagine you'll get some grado recommendations for rock...probably the 225's since they are widely regarded as the sweet spot for grados and they fit within your budget. however, i'm not sure they're the best for hip hop.

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 20
I'd second the Grado suggestion (or Alessandro, depends where you live). Audio Technica also makes open circumaural headphones with a one sided input, you should have a look at them and see what's in your budget (I think ATH-AD700 is).

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon AHD2000 seems to be the solid winner in that price range. You are going to have to get them used or higher your bid to $250.

If you are being strict (who are yu kidding!!?) then i would suggest HD595.

i honestly think the hd595 would disappoint, only because they are a little bass shy overall. i had them once and decided to go with something else for that very reason. they weren't bad cans by any means...just not for me i guess. i haven't heard the d2000 but have thought about getting them myself. so, i would second alitomr's recommendation since you're now including closed cans. they seem pretty popular and would definately fit the bill for hip hop from what i've read. but, again, i haven't heard them so i can't be for sure.

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 20
I agree. The Sennheiser HD595 is a disappointing headphone, not the same league as Sennheiser's other higher numbers. How about Ultrasone HFI 680 or 780? They do rock well. And hiphop. And they do well without an amp.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 20
The more I surf Head-Fi, the more I want to spend. I've changed my budget to 200-300. If an amp is needed, it should fit in the budget as well. Also, the Denon has two sided cable inputs, so it doesn't fit my tastes. Why are so many headphones designed this way?

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The more I surf Head-Fi, the more I want to spend. I've changed my budget to 200-300.

That's the spirit!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Grados are something you should have a look at. Although they are supra-aural and have double-entry. The bass of SR80 is better and has better body than HD595. I think it should compare well to higher end grados.

Jun 9, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 20
personally if i were in your shoes, and didn't want to spend $$$ on amplification i would take the 880, 990 and k701 off my list, and would add the Alessandro MS-2, AD900 and Denon D2000 on my list
smily_headphones1.gif
I havn't heard the AD900 my self, but I've owned the other 2, and they sound pretty good even unamped. they sounded better than the 880's unamped for that matter

none of the 3 are terminated with a single sided cable however.

Jun 9, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 20
AH-D2000. The headphone that for me beats out the HD650, HD600, DT880, SR225, SR325i, K701

The only headphone I'd rather have instead (under $1000) is the AH-D5000

Jun 9, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AH-D2000. The headphone that for me beats out the HD650, HD600, DT880, SR225, SR325i, K701

The only headphone I'd rather have instead (under $1000) is the AH-D5000

That's a pretty strong statement. I wish that headphone was had the single side cable.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pretty strong statement. I wish that headphone was had the single side cable.

may i ask why you are looking for a single side cable? is it for a specific purpose or just for personal preference? either way, whichever reason you stand by is cool since only you know what you like and you're going to spend big bucks for it in the end. however, i wouldn't short yourself to only single sided cable phones. the majority of headphones that will be suggested for you are double sided and are definitely worth the consideration. me personally...i would wear cans in the shape of butt cheeks with a dozen cables running out of them if they sounded like a million bucks (...my attempt at humor).

also, since you are now looking to stretch your budget a bit (not a hard thing to do around here), i would seriously think about purchasing an amp to go along with your new headphones. the higher end models almost always require an amp to sound their best and to reach the level of performance that they are capable of given the amount of money that you've invested in them to begin with. i'm not one for suggesting an amp for you since i don't know enough about mating amps with headphones. the only thing i do know is that without an amp, none of the headphones that you are looking into are going to sound the way they are really intended to sound...just something to think about. best of luck with your search and hopefully others with more knowledge than myself can be of more help to you.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 20
I can tell you now, that it's going to be really hard to find a good single sided headphone that a cmoy can drive :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back