Headfi adverts?
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #91 of 99
WOW, I haven't logged on to Head-Fi in the last week, so this ad thing is new to me and hit me like a hammer in the face. I must say I think it is poor form to stick the ad's right in the middle of threads. IT IS VERY DISTRACTING,, WORSE THAN MASSIVE SIGS.
mad.gif
mad.gif
plainface.gif
JUST MY 2C.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #92 of 99
EDIT: Good gracious, I got all upset about my post being deleted and it turns out that it's still there in a different thread! I had no idea there were two different threads on the same topc.

My apologies to Jude and the moderator team!

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #93 of 99
I HATE the embedded ads. BUT, I will say at least they let us discuss it in this thread. I know they have deleted posts but they seem to have stopped doing that. And, this thread is still here as a whole with plenty of negative comments.

OK, brown-nosing done. Now, a request: Remove said adverts!!!!! Please please please please please!

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #94 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you put in too many rules, people rebel
If you don't police the board well enough, people rebel
If you put in ads, people rebel
If users get banned, people rebel
If certain users don't get banned, people rebel
If the servers too slow, people rebel
If posts get deleted without explanation, people rebel
If posts get deleted with explanation, people rebel

a good forum doesn't need active moderation, its users should be able to have intelligent conversations amongst themselves. people that are unable to contribute should be removed. posts that are not useful should be removed and their removal shouldn't be taken personally. forums shouldn't be places of socialization, they should be places to exchange valuable knowledge. a forum is not worth going to unless you actually get something worthwhile out of it. a forum as big as head-fi is impossible to maintain itself as a truly valuable resource, that's just how it is.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #95 of 99
I'm new to this site and I don't really mind the ads although I do mind the fact that sometimes I have to use the scroll bar on the bottom of the page to see stuff that's on the right side. There's no rhyme or reason for it, it just happens on both my computers. That's what's really annoying. Like right now, this reply box was toward the left side of my screen and I had to scroll to get to it.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #96 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're kidding right? Audiophiles don't succumb to advertising? ROFL

Anyway, headfi isn't putting the ads there to sell you stuff, they're putting the ads there to pay for the site. Contribute, and you don't see them.

wow, I never saw the adds, I guess I contributed the day they were put in effect. cool coincidence!

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #97 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a good forum doesn't need active moderation, its users should be able to have intelligent conversations amongst themselves. people that are unable to contribute should be removed. posts that are not useful should be removed and their removal shouldn't be taken personally. forums shouldn't be places of socialization, they should be places to exchange valuable knowledge. a forum is not worth going to unless you actually get something worthwhile out of it. a forum as big as head-fi is impossible to maintain itself as a truly valuable resource, that's just how it is.

Man I envy your idealism. Though in truth I think there should be at least a little fun in a forum. I mean what good is coming here if all you read are highly informative but incredibly boring advise.

So what's wrong with the socializing? What's wrong with having an enjoyable time on the forum with others? This forum is huge... I recall just a year or so ago it was noted that Jude wasn't even breaking even yet considering the purchasing of his servers and the time he took to maintain it. So if he's making a profit off the ads I'm glad. It'll only be more reason to keep the site as speedy and big as it is now.

The ads are only about as annoying as other banner and inappropriately placed ads in other forums and sites. Frankly I'm glad that companies are so willing to pay sites for the ads yet have almost everyone ignore them.

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #98 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a contributor should have an incentive to do it...more than enhancing PM storage.

How about that this forum gives countless hours of entertainment and allows you to post 2500+ posts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back