headamps that deliberately smooth out harshness ?
Jul 15, 2022 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

matts19

Head-Fier
I am looking for SS headphones amplifiers that deliberately smooth out harshness and sibilance. I am not looking for honest amplifiers that exposes harsh tracks untampered.

I've heard Fiio K5 Pro, Schiit Asgard 3, Topping L30, Lake People G111 and Singxer SA-1, and found Lake People G111 doing the best job out of these. Yes, in this regard G111 is even better than SA-1 (which is known for being smooth without coloring the sound too much), even though the detail and soundstage is better with SA-1.

As good a job as G111 does, I am looking for one that does it even better. Is there anything out there under $1500? I am strictly talking about SS headphone amplifiers. Thanks.

Some reviews that I came across which seem to support this idea:
- Denafrips Artemis
- Kinki Studio THR-1
- Some Teac amplifier models
- Violectric V200

Anything else ?

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 10
The positive distortion possible with a good otl tube amp might be right up your alley. There’s a reason the hd800 pairs so well with Bottlehead gear and other tube amps.

Jul 15, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 10
The positive distortion possible with a good otl tube amp might be right up your alley. There’s a reason the hd800 pairs so well with Bottlehead gear and other tube amps.
Yeah I own Eufonika H5 with Miflex caps which I feel is pretty decent but during summer the room can get a little too warm for my liking... also I appreciate the more precise SS sound, just not in a clinical and harsh way. :) Even in SS I look for laid-back presentation.

Jul 16, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 10
The Asgard 3 is pretty smooth, but even more treble forgiving was the Aune X7s which is the only amp I'd describe as sweet sounding. Both amps you can listen to bright Beyerdynamic models without fatigue. With the THX stuff I literally jumped in my chair when the DT990 600ohm treble peak went off at loud volume.

Also a DAC like the SMSL M300 I have can help with filter and sound color settings to shave off brightness without equalizing.

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 10
Pass amps.

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 10
I am looking for SS headphones amplifiers that deliberately smooth out harshness and sibilance. I am not looking for honest amplifiers that exposes harsh tracks untampered.

I've heard Fiio K5 Pro, Schiit Asgard 3, Topping L30, Lake People G111 and Singxer SA-1, and found Lake People G111 doing the best job out of these. Yes, in this regard G111 is even better than SA-1 (which is known for being smooth without coloring the sound too much), even though the detail and soundstage is better with SA-1.

As good a job as G111 does, I am looking for one that does it even better. Is there anything out there under $1500? I am strictly talking about SS headphone amplifiers. Thanks.

Some reviews that I came across which seem to support this idea:
- Denafrips Artemis
- Kinki Studio THR-1
- Some Teac amplifier models
- Violectric V200

Anything else ?
Hi sorry i missed which Headphones are you using ... and source of course.
I mean you hear the sound out of a chain of units that is source > amp > headphones
Maybe harshness is elsewhere
And not considering links in between

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 10
Violectric V200 and Lake People G109-P sounded identical once volume matched at defaul gain even there were impressions about rolled off treble.

To smoothen treble you propably need to get tube amp or change different pads or get SS amp with high impedance output option that could alter headphones frequency response.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 10
What's your source? DAC? What music, headphones? Use parametric EQ?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 10
I find the Jot 2 to be very smooth without leaving out detail. It will scale up with better sources to a point (aka: I noted a bump in quality when I added a DDC to my Ares). And it's been a while since I owned it but the Audio-gd combo DAC/amp was smooth like butter. Stepping up in price, maybe one of the Burson amps with custom op-amps would suit you.

I would agree though, that if getting ultimate smoothness is most important in your listening experience, looking at your whole chain would really be the best way to address your issue. From source on down to headphones, you will have more options and control, which will likely yield more satisfying results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back