Headamp with speaker outputs
May 17, 2006 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pencechp

Head-Fier
My next rig will be AKG K501 based, and I'll need an upgraded amp to drive them as well. I'm looking at amps in the range of:

Woo Audio 3
MG Head
M^3
Maxed PIMETA w/ OPA627

So, we're talking the general $300-500 range. But, I was thinking today that it'd be very, very sweet if my headphone amplifier could also drive a pair of small, 8-ohm bookshelf speakers, which would remove the need for my massive stereo system (which has just been gathering dust since I found Head-Fi anyway).

What do you guys think? What are the headphone amps in this general class that also have speaker-outs, and can they power some small PSB bookshelf speakers? Obviously it might be a touch more expensive, but I could live with that.

Also, I have a feeling I'm going to get a swath of recommendations for vintage Marantz receivers and such--I'd rather avoid that route, because it's so uncertain as to what you're actually getting.

May 17, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Dared MP-5 seems to fit the bill at your opening budget. Can't speak for it's qualities though since I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.
icon10.gif
Plenty of impressions from other members if you check out the thread started by Elephas.

May 18, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Is the woo3 set up to drive small speakers? If so can someone recommend a good pair of small speakers? I am looking at buying one as well , for cans.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 18, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cletus Bocephust
Is the woo3 set up to drive small speakers? I am looking at buying one as well , for cans.

Ken

No, it's not. I just meant that in terms of headphone-only amps, that was the class of amplifier I'd been looking at.

May 18, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pencechp
My next rig will be AKG K501 based, and I'll need an upgraded amp to drive them as well. I'm looking at amps in the range of:

Woo Audio 3
MG Head
M^3
Maxed PIMETA w/ OPA627

So, we're talking the general $300-500 range. But, I was thinking today that it'd be very, very sweet if my headphone amplifier could also drive a pair of small, 8-ohm bookshelf speakers, which would remove the need for my massive stereo system (which has just been gathering dust since I found Head-Fi anyway).

What do you guys think? What are the headphone amps in this general class that also have speaker-outs, and can they power some small PSB bookshelf speakers? Obviously it might be a touch more expensive, but I could live with that.

Also, I have a feeling I'm going to get a swath of recommendations for vintage Marantz receivers and such--I'd rather avoid that route, because it's so uncertain as to what you're actually getting.

Woo 4 would be great for driving speakers as well as headphones - about $1200 great though.

May 18, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Woo 4 would be great for driving speakers as well as headphones - about $1200 great though.

Hah... yeah, if I had $1200 to spend, I'd just buy a really nice preamp that also happened to coincidentally drive headphones well.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back