HeadAmp Reference vs SFT Dynahi PP
Nov 15, 2005 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
First of all, both Justin and Lin are world class acts. Justin took my Reference in to mod the gain for me free of charge, completed the work in a timely manner and took care of all my concerns. Kudos. Lin saw that I was curious how the Hi and Lo compared and offered to allow me to audition his new PP amp at no cost to myself, it arrived some 10 days later. Generousity in spades!

My Reference returned today so I will follow up with a full comparison later but initial comparison reinforced what memory had suggested... the Lo is the better amp for me.

Where the Hi is quite forward with good speed and never lacking in reserves, the Lo has a blacker background, stronger foundation with a sense of ease that is so inviting. Both are great choices but for my preference of rock the Lo really hits the spot.

That my room is a few degrees cooler didn't hurt any either
wink.gif

Proper comparison to follow by weeks end but for now I want to revisit an old friend
600smile.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 24
What means the "PP" in "Dynahi PP"?
TIA

Nov 15, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 24
Can't wait to see this! I'm assuming that by Hi and Lo you're referring to the Dynahi vs. the Dynalo. If that's the case, I'd love to see you throw in a few more words about that comparison as well.

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
What means the "PP" in "Dynahi PP"?
TIA

Lin's newest Dynahi is a Plug and Play Module, PP for short. Essentially a barebones Dynahi, 1 in, 1 out, alps instead of dact, less complicated casing, internally the same as the previous Dynahi-SA.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Lin's newest Dynahi is a Plug and Play Module, PP for short. Essentially a barebones Dynahi, 1 in, 1 out, alps instead of dact, less complicated casing, internally the same as the previous Dynahi-SA.

How much?
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
How much?
evil_smiley.gif

$600

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Thanks Teerawit, I appreciate the link.
wink.gif

hehe no problem...it just struck me...how interesting the PP is! uh oh...

Nov 15, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

...internally the same as the previous Dynahi-SA.

Lin sent me a mod to warm up the PP a little and I noticed this isn't true while I had it open. The amp boards are SA level, the power supply is less substantial however.

Still, anxious to see how they'll compare head to head this weekend.

Nov 16, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 24
Let me compare in more details about the three ps units of previous dynahi-sa, current dynahi, dynahi pp.

size: previous > pp > current
complexity of circuit: current > previou > pp
sound quality : x > y > z (left for you
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 24
As promised the full review. First of all its worth mentioning that neither amp is bad and these comments are in comparison to each other and not a global truth.

For those who just want the jist of it... the HeadAmp Reference is the better amp by a good margin besting the Dynahi PP in every category.

The amps were compared using the following:

Monster AVS2000
Volex 14AWG Shielded
HT Pro Silway MKIII
Senn 650/Cardas
MF Tri-Vista 21
Emu 1212m
WW SuperNova 3+

Its worth noting that my Reference is single ended, no balanced capability, has a dact ct2, silver wiring and black gate caps running at unity gain.

Review process I follow is simple. I build a playlist of varying music doubled up. Ie Pipeline, Pipeline, Doin' Time, Doin' Time... On the first pass through a song I just listen, on the second pass I take notes. I repeat this for as many songs as are in the list then I swap out the amps and go again. The second amp was kept on throughout the test to keep it warm, the interconnect was given 10 minutes to restablize after the swap. Both amps are calibrated to 70dB.

With that out of the way here are my unaltered listening notes:

srv - pipeline

headamp: integrated, slight crackle, dry overall, background easily

heard, quick start/stop, bassline has good speed/separation

sft: top heavy, same crackle, bright presentation, less control over

start/stop, bottom end lacking, presence but not engaging, low level mia

vh - doin' time

headamp: excellent blackground, good shimmer, way LOW, integrated no

forefront, good buildup, skinning spot on

sft: less void, shouty, bottom end lacking, forward, good shimmer

hc - i told him

headamp: clean, excellent banjo work, very well integrated, immersive

sft: leans towards piercing vocal intro, banjo smearing, piano good

measure louder, bottom end recessed

apc - blue 70dB@2:50

headamp: very smooth intro, deep bass/low tone, good impact, full not

lightweight, involving

sft: forward intro, lowest bass tipped up not as deep, low midrange

emphasis, punchy but dry, smearing, disconnected

Reading over my notes I keep coming up with the same characteristics thoughout the comparison. The HeadAmp Reference has an incredibly low noise floor, low level retrieval is impressive, its speed and control is unmatched. The presentation is even with excellent extention and a real connection to the heart of the music.

The Dynahi PP in comparison is slower with a tendancy to smear during fast passages. It is quite a bit drier with a clear preference for the top end lacking bottom end weight. Its also more disconnected from the music. Low level detail is dropped outright taking away a lot of the melody out of some music.

The negatives of the Dynahi PP are lessened to an extent by SFT's SilverLine headphone cable that has a more pronouced bottom end in comparison to the Cardas.

Ignoring sound for a minute, both amps are well built with excellent workmanship. The Reference is the prettier of the two but the PP was built to reach a price point that casework would have likely overshot. The Reference is luke warm and as has been mentioned before the Dynahi is HOT!

Overall I'm glad I took the time to compare the two. I would have always wondered what I was missing and as it turns out what I'm missing is... nothing at all
biggrin.gif

There is a silver lining here though. SFT's SilverLine cable is quite good and he's now building Dynalo and M3 amps so HeadAmp now has solid competition in the East.

Nov 21, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

The Dynahi PP in comparison is slower with a tendancy to smear during fast passages. It is quite a bit drier with a clear preference for the top end lacking bottom end weight. Its also more disconnected from the music. Low level detail is dropped outright taking away a lot of the melody out of some music.

Interesting, of the amp's i've heard my dynahi's been the fastest. I've also never been able to detect any smearing during fast passages, usually its the exact opposite (extreme clarity in fast passages) and the bottom ends never been a problem either. I can't comment on the headamp reference because I haven't heard it but maybe your source and other components portray the dynahi in this way, not sure if its the dynahi doing these things. Nevertheless, thanks for the review i'll have to audition a reference sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back