HeadAmp Pico has arrived.. (LARGE unpacking pictures)
Dec 25, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #16 of 151
Ah also just realized that even on high gain with the er6is which are fairly sensitive ear buds there is a complete absence of hiss and an utterly black background. It's not the thing I generally listen specifically for so I didn't notice it at first but eventually the blackness was hard to ignore in between songs.

I'll have to take it for a real test tomorrow when I'm back home with Qualias with which I've never heard hissless before (Retardedly sensitive headphone) though my Singlepower SS-1 XLR's reference section comes damn close to. You can't really hear a hiss with that amp but you notice a lack of something when you unplug it versus when its plugged in so I consider there still to be some sort of background noise. If the Pico can match that amp (15.6k amp) then I will be surprised yet again by this device.

Dec 25, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #17 of 151
Congrats. They're so sweet.
Hope that the background noise won't be a problem since i plan to use them on low gain with the ue11
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #18 of 151
Icarium: Yeah, I'm quite amazed by the sound that's coming out of such a small package (with power hungry HD650s, none-the-less).

For future Pico-owners: Kernel Streaming does not seem to work under Foobar2000 with the Pico. ASIO4ALL works fantastically though, as do the drivers from USB 2 Audio - low latency audio.

Dec 25, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #22 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great pictures, akwok. Looking forward to any comparisons you may feel like doing between the Pico's DAC and your RA Opus 21.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm actually going to try the Pico in my speaker system tomorrow (temporarily replacing the Opus 21). I will be using the Pico as a DAC & preamp. Pictures and details to follow..

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #23 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dang, this hobby is evil.

the DAC costs 200 more? dang...

The DAC is well worth 200 bucks

Dec 25, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #26 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold a great amp to buy one of these babies!

...an AE-2
biggrin.gif

He sure did.
biggrin.gif
Now I am the new owner of silver AE2. It sounds wonderful and even the great looking Pico will not make me want to sell this silver beauty any time soon.

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #27 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Icarium: Yeah, I'm quite amazed by the sound that's coming out of such a small package (with power hungry HD650s, none-the-less).

For future Pico-owners: Kernel Streaming does not seem to work under Foobar2000 with the Pico. ASIO4ALL works fantastically though, as do the drivers from USB 2 Audio - low latency audio.

I went ahead and downloaded ASIO as you described, but I'm not sure what settings to use. What works for you?

ASIO4ALL

Dec 25, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #28 of 151
Are there just the DLL files for ASIO4ALL that works by copying into Foobar, or do you have to install the entire driver suite? I like how Foobar works from just a folder, no install necessary. I can run it at work off of a thumb drive or external USB hard drive.

-Ed

Dec 25, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #29 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went ahead and downloaded ASIO as you described, but I'm not sure what settings to use. What works for you?

ASIO4ALL

I just installed ASIO4ALL, unticked the 44.1khz<->48khz option, ticked the 'force to 16-bit', and in Foobar2000 set the output data format to 32-bit (and set the output to ASIO).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there just the DLL files for ASIO4ALL that works by copying into Foobar, or do you have to install the entire driver suite? I like how Foobar works from just a folder, no install necessary. I can run it at work off of a thumb drive or external USB hard drive.

-Ed

Not sure..

Dec 25, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #30 of 151
Hi Akwok,
Could you me give me a rough estimate of battery life for this. I am still planning to buy a portable amp. I am unable to judge in between this and Hornet. And how good is it with your MAC?
Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back