Headamp GS-X (Review/Impressions/Picture Posted March 3rd)
Feb 29, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #16 of 41
congratulations dreadhead. hopefully i'll join the gs-x gang soon enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 41
Another comment about the DAC1 as a source -- most of us are aware that the DAC1 has gone through a few upgrades over the years, and the latest version (also reviewed favorably in Stereophile a month ago) is generally conceded to have better SQ than prior versions. So, to say that the DAC1 would not be the best source for the GS-X is not exactly fair. I'm not necessarily saying that the GS-X would not sound slightly better with a $20K DAC but the DAC1 is certainly no slouch - it has garnered an excellent track record in terms of SQ and many of us feel it is highly competitive with DACs and stand-alone CD players that cost several multiples above the DAC-1.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the DAC1 is certainly no slouch - it has garnered an excellent track record in terms of SQ and many of us feel it is highly competitive with DACs and stand-alone CD players that cost several multiples above the DAC-1.

Statements like this get thrown around all th time about the Dac1. I'd be interested in your personal experiences or any others on examples where the Dac1 has matched or beat current products out there in the "cost of several multiples range".

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another comment about the DAC1 as a source -- most of us are aware that the DAC1 has gone through a few upgrades over the years, and the latest version (also reviewed favorably in Stereophile a month ago) is generally conceded to have better SQ than prior versions. So, to say that the DAC1 would not be the best source for the GS-X is not exactly fair. I'm not necessarily saying that the GS-X would not sound slightly better with a $20K DAC but the DAC1 is certainly no slouch - it has garnered an excellent track record in terms of SQ and many of us feel it is highly competitive with DACs and stand-alone CD players that cost several multiples above the DAC-1.

Thanks for pointing out the new review of the DAC1. I just read it
wink.gif

I was not saying it's as good some dCS/emmLabs system but the DAC1 sounds really good and I'm sure the price/performance is higher. I have had endless problems using it without ASIO4All but now I've reverted to using that the sound is just plain great.

I just think it's not on to try and rain on someones parade just after he gets his system and say well now upgrade your source.

I also think that at this stage the different earphones are going to make a lot more difference to the sound than any source or amp changes. I mean just look at the frequency response curves of the different brands... and then people quibble with a tiny frequency response variations on the DAC.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 41
Great setup Dreadhead, we are dreaming same as yours.

Please post some pics to drool on!

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #21 of 41
Hi Dreadhead,

I am glad to see that you are enjoying the GS-X.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Statements like this get thrown around all th time about the Dac1. I'd be interested in your personal experiences or any others on examples where the Dac1 has matched or beat current products out there in the "cost of several multiples range".

You certainly make a valid point. I do have personal experience with two highly rated stand-alone CD players (specifically the Ayre CX7 and C5xe) that actually did cost much more than the DAC1 (even with a transport factored in). I sold these two Ayre units well before acquiring my DAC1, so unfortunately I have to rely on my auditory memory (which can be somewhat misleading). Nevertheless, my experience with these 2 players is recent enough that I feel my opinions have some validity. The bottom line is that I prefer the sound of the DAC1 over either of the Ayres although I would have to admit that they're all pretty darn good. For me to say that the DAC1-USB is in the same SQ league as these two very fine Ayre machines again speaks very well for the DAC1. I'm sure others would prefer the Ayre or even other machines or DACs over the DAC1 -- that's certainly fine with me since it all boils down to personal preference anyway.

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #23 of 41
Well I've ordered a pair of Denon AH-D5000's from Amazon. If the fit well they'll be balanced soon! And soon after that they'll be modded to match markl's R10 killers
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've ordered a pair of Denon AH-D5000's from Amazon. If the fit well they'll be balanced soon! And soon after that they'll be modded to match markl's R10 killers
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

i ordered my pair a few months back. got them from amazon too, as they offered the lowest price then. though i'm quite satisfied with the sound quality right now, i'm also interested in modding them per markl's instructions. i'll wait for the gs-x to arrive and try my hd650 and d5000 se. then i'll have the senns balanced first. after that comes the d5000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadden /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have compared the USB DAC1 with several $3k Arcam CD and universal players as well as a Slimdevices Transporter, all in my systems for long stretches. Simply put, the DAC1 holds its own. My personal belief is that high-end sources are "flattening" -- meaning it costs less to buy a source that competes with the best. Witness the Pico -- it's DAC compares to the Benchmark, which compares to the Transporter, which compares to the Arcam CD33.

I would advise purchasers to resist the urge to spend multiples of $1k to outperform the DAC1, especially if you are using a PC transport. At a certain point you are merely getting different flavors -- chocolate or vanilla -- and not higher quality. You are also paying for casework and aesthetics.

High-end disk players are more expensive because it costs a lot to optimize the transport. With a computer you can get to the same level with a much lower investment.

This is all opinion, of course, but it is based on evaluating lots of equipment over the years.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would advise purchasers to resist the urge to spend multiples of $1k to outperform the DAC1, especially if you are using a PC transport. At a certain point you are merely getting different flavors -- chocolate or vanilla -- and not higher quality. You are also paying for casework and aesthetics.

before coming to head-fi. i somehow have the idea that high price would equate to hi-fi, being a newbie and all. countless threads after, i'm beginning to see the "light" although the cliche "you get what you payed for" holds thru on the average, it somehow loses its luster once a certain price-point has been reached. don't ask me about that specific price-point, as i have yet to find a clear cut-off. a lot on this forum talks about the law of diminishing returns, and slowly but surely i am being aware of that. and posts like the one of gregeas hammers down the concept.

back on topic: i'm so excited in hearing the gs-x for myself. dreadhead is so lucky in finding a fellow head-fier who was willing to let go of his. i expect to read dreadhead's impression and comparison soon. consider it as crumbs, to give us who are still waiting for ours to ship.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #28 of 41
thanks dreadhead for a very wonderful review, concise and direct to the point. i'm looking forward in comparing and contrasting your experience with my own once my gs-x arrives. now i'm really excited to hear a balanced setup. sadly, it would be a long wait. anywho, thanks again dreadhead.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #29 of 41
Nice review. Damn!!! that GSX looks sexy!!
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #30 of 41
Well I got my Denon AH-D5000's and I'm listening to them on the GS-X using SE right now. The mids and highs are pretty lovely as long as you don't let the bass rip your ear drums out (lower volumes). First track I listened to them with was 15 Step from Radiohead "In Rainbows" and that first bass hit was LOUD! Of course I was using it at the volume setting for the HD650's so I might have needed to turn is down a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as these phones go I really don't have anything else to compare the GS-X against except the headphone out on the DAC1. Comparatively the bass is much more controlled on the GS-X. It's doing it's best to reign it in
smily_headphones1.gif
The mids and highs are hard for me to compare since they seem a bit washed out but they seem cymbal strikes and die away seem more controlled but I'm not going to state that as a fact.

Cheers,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back