HeadAmp GS-1/Reference compared to Veda/SFT Dynahi?
Sep 28, 2005 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the HeadAmp Reference and Rudistor RP5.1 going head to head right now but the Dynahi keeps nudging me to try it.

So for those who have had the opportunity to compare the HeadAmp GS-1 or Reference to a Veda/SFT Dynahi using Senn 650 or Beyer 880 cans how did they compare?

Also if you think there is a tube amp I should consider that has 'Gilmore' like strengths I'm all ears.

Sep 28, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 18
Oops, it's not my Dynahi, Kevin finished 99% work. I just solder parts and load them into a chassis.I believe there are many excellent builders in north America build wonderful dynahi too.

Sep 30, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
I have the HeadAmp Reference and Rudistor RP5.1 going head to head right now but the Dynahi keeps nudging me to try it.

So for those who have had the opportunity to compare the HeadAmp GS-1 or Reference to a Veda/SFT Dynahi using Senn 650 or Beyer 880 cans how did they compare?

Also if you think there is a tube amp I should consider that has 'Gilmore' like strengths I'm all ears.

Just bumping this up. Hasn't anyone compared the GS-1 to the Dynahi? Seems like they ought to sound very similar. Does anyone know how these two (GS-1, Dynahi) differ? I assume it has to be the power supply????

Noel

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nblis
Just bumping this up. Hasn't anyone compared the GS-1 to the Dynahi? Seems like they ought to sound very similar. Does anyone know how these two (GS-1, Dynahi) differ? I assume it has to be the power supply????

Noel

Don't quote me on this but I think the dynahi is higher-end Kevin Gilmore design than what the gs1 is based upon. I haven't heard the GS1 though.

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Don't quote me on this but I think the dynahi is higher-end Kevin Gilmore design than what the gs1 is based upon. I haven't heard the GS1 though.

Interesting Psycho. We won't hold you to it, but I thought the GS-1 module was the same as the Dynahi. I don't know where I got that though!!!!!!!

Noel

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nblis
Interesting Psycho. We won't hold you to it, but I thought the GS-1 module was the same as the Dynahi. I don't know where I got that though!!!!!!!

Noel

Actually come to think of it the pics of the GS1's insides look a lot like a dynalo.

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 18
The GS-1 looks like a Gilmore Lite (or Dynalo) with a built in power supply. I realize it has a gain switch, Alps pot and other things, but the topology is just like the Gilmore Lite.

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 18
From PMs with Kevin, the big difference between these with cans like the Senn 650 is power. The Lo tops out at about 1W while the Hi can put out 15W. Sound wise the differences are subtle. Different story with more difficult loads like the Qualia though.

The Lo is the better design 'ergonomically' though since its power consumption and heat are much lower than the Hi which doubles as a block heater
biggrin.gif
I'll be sticking with my Reference which should be sent to mod the gain next week.

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
From PMs with Kevin, the big difference between these with cans like the Senn 650 is power. The Lo tops out at about 1W while the Hi can put out 15W. Sound wise the differences are subtle. Different story with more difficult loads like the Qualia though.

The Lo is the better design 'ergonomically' though since its power consumption and heat are much lower than the Hi which doubles as a block heater
biggrin.gif
I'll be sticking with my Reference which should be sent to mod the gain next week.

Solude: Does this mean you like the Reference better than the Rudistor?

And are you saying that Kevin says the difference between the GS-1 and the Dynahi is subtle with the Senn 650's?

Noel

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 18
My testing shows that the dynalo could swing up to about 4.3Vrms prior to clipping, which correponds to 0.58W rms into 32Ω, or 62mW rms into 300Ω. The dynahi could swing about 15Vrms before clipping, which is 7W rms into 32Ω, or 750mW into 300Ω. These are unbalanced configurations.

Sep 30, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sft
4.3V rms for dynalo powered by +/- 16V psu seems to be a little low

I don't remember whether the particular dynalo had +/-15V or +/-16V supply rails. At any rate, looking at the dynahi, with its +/-30V rails and max output of 15Vrms (42.4Vp-p), which means that it could swing up to about 8.8V below the rail before clipping. For the dynalo, assuming +/-15V rails, the max output of 4.3Vrms (12.1Vp-p) is 8.9V below the rail, which is in the same ballpark.

Be sure to load the output with appropriate dummy loads when doing this output test. IIRC the dynalo's output impedance is somewhat high at around 2-3Ω, and this is significant enough to form a voltage divider with the load and cause voltage loss. In contrast the dynahi's output impedance is about 0.5Ω. All of this was measured at 1KHz.

Sep 30, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #14 of 18
I won't quote PMs but the jist of it is at moderate levels on easy loads like the Senn 650, Kevin thinks the differences would be subtle. The Qualia or K340 are another story.

I infer that to mean that the benefits of the Dynahi will be lost on me since I use the Senn 650 exclusively and at low volume.

Do I like the Reference more than the RudiStor? Yes and no. Both are great amps, both provide far more gain than I will ever use, both breathe life into music, they just get there differently.

The main differences are where the HeadAmp is enjoys great macro dynamics and resolution, the RudiStor really nails the natural timbre and emotion of the music. Basically I'm chosing the HeadAmp but also dumping my MF A324 in favour of a tube CDP. So really I chose to reach for more RudiStor sound in a different way. That make sense?

I still have a few more weeks with the Rudi while the Reference's gain is modified. So nobody gets this magic maker just yet
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
In contrast the dynahi's output impedance is about 0.5Ω. All of this was measured at 1KHz.

gain=?, hfe(power transistors)=?(roughly)
Sorry for my "short english"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back