HeadAmp Grand Cayman DHT Electrostatic Amp
Feb 22, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #166 of 175
As a lucky owner of a BHSE, I am very interested into "upgrading" to the Grand Cayman. Just wonder what willk be the price and delivery date...

justin ? ?

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #168 of 175
Hifiman Shangri-la SR or Stax X9000 ?

Today I have BHSE + SR009s that I love. Soon (I hope :wink: I should get a GrandCayman.

Since I need a second headphone, I wonder for those who had the chance to try booth at CanJam on the GrandCayman, which headphone they prefered with the GrandCayman: Hifiman Shangri-la SR or Stax X9000 ?

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #169 of 175

Today I have BHSE + SR009s that I love. Soon (I hope :wink: I should get a GrandCayman.

Since I need a second headphone, I wonder for those who had the chance to try booth at CanJam on the GrandCayman, which headphone they prefered with the GrandCayman: Hifiman Shangri-la SR or Stax X9000 ?
100% x9k. Not on the GC but owned the x9k for a long time and recently had the SGL for a weekend. I’m using a megatron.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #171 of 175

I think I asked in another thread, but what do you and don't like about the 009? That perhaps makes this a very easy question to answer.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #172 of 175
I think I asked in another thread, but what do you and don't like about the 009? That perhaps makes this a very easy question to answer.
I like a lot my SR009s, but since I need a second headphone (we are 2 listeners), I thought I should get a dfferent one for a change (or for... an upgrade)

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #173 of 175
I like a lot my SR009s, but since I need a second headphone (we are 2 listeners), I thought I should get a dfferent one for a change (or for... an upgrade)

Oh in addition to your 009?? If you'd like to keep it, I'd probably go x9k. If you'd like to outright replace it, there is quite a bit of presentation overlap w/the SGL Sr.

Both sound incredible out of the Grand Cayman. If you enjoy the 009, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy either a lot. And if you went x9k first, the SGL Sr. is still a possible upgrade path forward, as it it's a good companion to the x9k as well (they're different enough from each other).

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #174 of 175
Could you elaborate on this comparison? What did you like more on the X9000? I own X9000 but haven't had the chance to try Shang Sr yet.
I really wanted to like them but sonically I felt they didn’t do anything special for an estat. I’m not a big fan of the x9k (sold mine) but the appeal for the x9k it is pretty straight forward given its very spacious soundstage and laser separation. The Shang is similar to the x9k and the 009 but without doing anything beyond - outside of perhaps being slightly brighter. Occasionally I’ve noticed people conflate treble pitched headphones as “more resolution” since their ear will gravitate towards the upper sounds not normally focused on (e.g. a cymbal). Stax imo is a little bit guilty of this since their 009 line and onwards but the SGR is like the ultimate lean into that. Some have suggested the soundstage is vast but it’s more of a function of the drivers being taller because the depth of field is pretty flat. Almost like a lambda honestly.

This isn’t even factoring in the very poor quality materials (microphonic cable, distortion issues due to lack of insulation) and ridiculous price tag that is clearly a function of trying to market the product as a competitor to the he-1. Hard pass.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #175 of 175
Just for the sake of clarity, the 009 is brighter than the Shang Sr, and both have analytical presentations that are brighter than the x9k. I have had both for a long time and just had a session back and forth with them this weekend. If you like the 009, the Shang Sr. is a clear upgrade in every way (except bass, similar performance there) and are a pretty safe bet. If you don't like a more analytical presentation, or brightness in general, or if you are more of a fan of the 007.. you are likely not going to enjoy either. And to a lesser degree the x9k as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back