Headamp Gilmore Lite w/ DPS Modding
Jul 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
I wonder if there are huge differences in sound if the gilmore lite is modified with better parts. maybe better resistors, caps, and a hand wound power supply???

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 62
What makes you question the quality of the parts in there already? From what I've seen Justin doesn't skimp when it comes to stuff like that. So I guess my answer is no, you are unlikey to find even minor differences changes things like caps and resistors. And the DPS is already a very nice PS.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 62
Showed the internal pics from the website to a cousin of mine into DIY amp building for speakers that said parts can be improved quite a bit.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 62
well, on the plus side you're starting with a good circuit...

Since no one around here has done what you're proposing, you're in uncharted waters...

Personally, I say go for it and report back with the results!

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Since no one around here has done what you're proposing, you're in uncharted waters...

Does it count if someone did it with Dynalo revision C boards?
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok I think i'll try a different source to see if it hits the spot for me

You are like a character from Shakespeare or other similar period drama. You hear the slightest rumour or off-hand comment, and it completely changes your entire outlook.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are like a character from Shakespeare or other similar period drama. You hear the slightest rumour or off-hand comment, and it completely changes your entire outlook.

heh, I was thinking the same thing...

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 62
Mahner,
I will NOT discuss the circuit of this Headphone amp. It should be really good. Im am not questioning the design factor.

But to say that the parts here cannot be improved is very funny. Ive been building amps since childhood and know parts. I mean I KNOW PARTS. I know what 1 good resistor can do to improve the sound or a quality cap can do. Also the P.S is the heart of good sound.

I dont want to start a flame war here but I just want to educate you. Obviously you dont know anything about quality parts.

Just looking at the amp. Hmmm. Let's first look at the Cheap Carbon resistors that's in the amp. Hmm they are about $3 for a pack of 200pcs. I can imagine the improvement if we used Tantalums, Riken, Kiwame's. Whew. No more shifting as those cheap Carbon resistors have sucky tolerance and shifts pretty bad. You will get better sound definitely.

Then Looking at the generic electrolytic caps in there. Hmmm. About less than a $1 a pop. I wonder the improvement if we put quality Mundorf or blackgates cap. That should be an improvement. Dead quiet, silent back ground.

Speaking of the P.S. I get my PT wound. And Misterx when someone say handwound they still use autocoil winders
smily_headphones1.gif
No one really uses hand anymore as it wont be as accurate as using the auto winders. But they still call it handwound
smily_headphones1.gif

There's is so much improvement you can make here. Especially with STIFF p.s.
Cree diodes or tube regulated. Stiff P.T. with maybe good oil cans put in there (obviously no space) so Blackgates then bypassed with .01 teflons. even greater clarity.

Anyhow, Again I am not trying to start a flame but just trying to explain the possibilities to improve is endless.

Victor

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont want to start a flame war here but I just want to educate you. Obviously you dont know anything about quality parts.

Bad move, kiddo.

Quote:

Then Looking at the generic electrolytic caps in there. Hmmm. About less than a $1 a pop. I wonder the improvement if we put quality Mundorf or blackgates cap. That should be an improvement. Dead quiet, silent back ground.

Have a look at the schematic for the amp section: HeadWize - Project: A Pure Class A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier by Kevin Gilmore

Now you tell me where exactly in the signal path a Blackgate is going to help? What's that you say? There aren't any caps in the signal path? Well bugger me!
rolleyes.gif

And as for the rest of the post..... I'll let the others have at you.....

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Whats wrong with trying new things to get the sound you are looking for?

I got the balance I wanted with my hd600s with my audiolab integrated amp. The gilmore lite gave me a little more refinement but cut the balls of the music. Now All I wonder is how to get those balls back in the music while retaining the glites strengths.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 62
Beefy,
That's why I dont like to enter threads because there is always people defending the product instead of constructive critisim.

Again did I ever question the circuit????? hmmm. I say no. I just mentioned the parts used "CAN" be improved. What's wronng with that? I didnt even see the Schematics of the amp but just the outlay and pictures inside them. And looking at them I see some cheap electrolytic and Mylars. We all know thats not the best. Geez.

What do you want me to say? Ok. nevermind. I take everything back. My new comment now is YES cheap Carbon resistors is now the best!!! Lets dump our shindoh's, mills and duelunds. YEs 20 cent mylars in the P.S is the best oh ya! Also cheap lytics is awesome. Oh ya. Lets get rid of our darn Mundorfs and Blackgates as they are just useless.

To answer your question about how blackgates can improve... I say YES. They will improve your PS incomparison to cheapness. AHHH. As powersupply caps whether in the 1st bank or 2nd bank. Anywhere you put them they are better than mylars or cheap lytics.

Again im just answering a question about getting improvement. Not in any way blaming the designer because I KNOW he's trying to hit a target price range which is very reasonable. Im just answering the blanket phrase someone said that they is no room for improvement. Which is BS.

BEst,
Victor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back