HeadAmp CFA3 Headphone Amp - The Official Thread
Oct 9, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #77 of 251
Our cfa3 was designed so that there are 2 front panels, one that all the components/circuit boards attach to and then a 2nd panel on top. We may offer colored panels that can be installed, but it would be sometime next year.
Could it be possible to install colored panels later if you buy the CFA3 in black from start. On GS-X Mini and GS-X mk2 I think you could order colored faceplates from
HeadAmp (and volume knobs?) and change the parts for yourself.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #78 of 251
Can someone explain in laymens terms from an engineering perspective why the headamp cfa3 will be better than mjolnir 3, holo bliss, or some other amps out there? I've been looking for a flux labs volot amplifier it looks like it has really good specs.

The mjolnir 3 has way less power than the headamp cfa3 but its internals look like it has more capacitors. I do have an engineering background but know nothing of electrical engineering. Just from glancing at the internals it looks like cfa3 has 2 medium sized capacitors while flux labs volot for instance has four large capacitors.

Is the headamp cfa3 fully class A? Where is the power supply?

Is this amp going to be "better" than the gsx mk2? If so in what ways?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #80 of 251
Can someone explain in laymens terms from an engineering perspective why the headamp cfa3 will be better than mjolnir 3, holo bliss, or some other amps out there? I've been looking for a flux labs volot amplifier it looks like it has really good specs.

The mjolnir 3 has way less power than the headamp cfa3 but its internals look like it has more capacitors. I do have an engineering background but know nothing of electrical engineering. Just from glancing at the internals it looks like cfa3 has 2 medium sized capacitors while flux labs volot for instance has four large capacitors.

Is the headamp cfa3 fully class A? Where is the power supply?

Is this amp going to be "better" than the gsx mk2? If so in what ways?
Quite a few items to unpack, so I'll start with the easy ones and see where this goes.

Better is subjective and is based upon what you're looking to achieve with the CFA3. It will have more power than those you listed.

Fully class A
Power supply is in the back, outside of the main internal area. See the main picture here - https://www.headamp.com/products/headamp-cfa3

It's a newer Gilmore design and has more power than the gsx mk2.

Oct 9, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #81 of 251
The power of the CFA3 is overstated in my opinion. Yes it adds a bit more bass impact, but it's not night and day from other powerful headphone amps. Maybe I'm biased coming from the WA33, but the bass improvement was smaller than I was expecting.

That said, I really like the CFA3, especially for the price. I'm getting like 70% of the WA33 sound at like 20% of the cost. It's missing some of that 3D sound my WA33 EE JPS provides, but is a bit cleaner with a bit better bass quantity. For the price, it would be hard to beat though. I can't imagine anything in that price range sounded as good as the CFA 3

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #82 of 251
Looks nice. Will the CFA3 have as much color options as the GSX had? I guess it would look cooler.
I like some of the GS-X finishes, but I love a bare anodized look, blingy smooth semi-glossy stainless, or bi-material. Like DAVE.
hv9rdqw4dlwbduidzqea.jpg

11867524.jpeg

m5xDmmtTHaDvmab7GjCpWH.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #83 of 251
The power of the CFA3 is overstated in my opinion. Yes it adds a bit more bass impact, but it's not night and day from other powerful headphone amps. Maybe I'm biased coming from the WA33, but the bass improvement was smaller than I was expecting.

That said, I really like the CFA3, especially for the price. I'm getting like 70% of the WA33 sound at like 20% of the cost. It's missing some of that 3D sound my WA33 EE JPS provides, but is a bit cleaner with a bit better bass quantity. For the price, it would be hard to beat though. I can't imagine anything in that price range sounded as good as the CFA 3
You may prefer CFA3 over WA33 if you use a different dac. Equipment matching and user preference are probably more important at this stage than pure power rating or other technical attributes.

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #84 of 251
I like some of the GS-X finishes, but I love a bare anodized look, blingy smooth semi-glossy stainless, or bi-material. Like DAVE.
hv9rdqw4dlwbduidzqea.jpg

11867524.jpeg

m5xDmmtTHaDvmab7GjCpWH.jpg
Looking forward to getting the headamp CFA3 in! I'm hoping it has some different options for colors. I like the look of some of these as well. I'm hoping the CFA3 is enough for me and I find the final amp I need for the susvara and abyss.

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #85 of 251
GSX mk2 powered susvara and abyss just fine as is? Not sure this amp positioning? Just macantosh overkill?

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #86 of 251
GSX mk2 powered susvara and abyss just fine as is? Not sure this amp positioning? Just macantosh overkill?
I briefly heard the Susvara at CanJam side by side with the gxs mk2 and the cfa3, and there was no comparison. It didn’t enjoy the Susvara out of the gxs mk2, was too bass lite for my taste. Out of the cfa3, it had plenty of bass and slammed hard. Only heard the abyss out of the gxs mk2 and they felt well powered. So not sure how the cfa3 would change its sound. I didn’t know anything about this amp while at the meet, otherwise I would have tried my Caldera and the Abyss out of it.

Oct 11, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #88 of 251
Ok how much is this cfa3? When do we find out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back