Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Nov 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #4,306 of 9,899
  Regardless, not taught in university anymore...which was my point. And that's back from the 1990s...it's now 20 years later. 
wink.gif

What type of engineering did you study?

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #4,307 of 9,899
  Tubes are passe, until the sattelites, power stations, comms sysyems etc are hit with an electro-magnetic pulse from an H-Bomb or solar flare coronal mass discharge hits that turns all the solid state silicon into silicon ash.......

Funny, that's the reason behind New Senson Corp in Russia. In case the Americans launched an EMP...now its mostly just audiophiles. We have the Cold War to thank for that.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #4,308 of 9,899
the silver panels are polished and clear anodized. a clear coat would probably not work. 

Thanks for the clarification. The anodizing process makes a more durable surface.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #4,310 of 9,899
  Physical Dimensions (in inches):

Amp chassis: 15.5" (width) x 12.5" (depth) x 3" (height). Attenuator adds 13/16" to the 12.5" depth and the RCA jacks add 11/16" more. Cone feet add 1 1/2" to the height and the stock Mullard EL34 tubes when installed add 3 3/4" more.

PSU chassis: 7 5/8" (width) x 12 3/8" (depth) x 3.5" (height). Cone feet add 1 1/16" to the height.

---

Price - I'll leave that one for Justin.

--

My posts that the silver version is somehow sonically superior have been purely in jest. Sorry that the sarcasm is so poorly transmitted via "the net". There is no "silver bullet" unfortunately.

Thanks
beerchug.gif

Asr => the price was not quite clear to me on the site, between 1649 x 4 and 1649 + 1399 x 3 
wink.gif

Ali

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #4,311 of 9,899
  Any spec for the lifetime of tubes has to take into account how the tube is used and how hard it is driven.  I've been using the same set of EL34's in my Blue Hawaii's for the last 10 years and they still measure good.  A lot of that has to do with them only being run at 50% of the max power rating and the old Mullards being bulletproof.  With light use you can expect at least 5-10 years of usage from a set of tubes. 

Couple of things, if the filament fails on a EL34 in a Blue Hawaii then the amp should be turned off in an instant and that tube thrown out.  This happened to one of the amps I built and it took out the active cathode load.  Another thing, don't ever use a tube if it indeed looks burnt or if the silver getter has turned white.  The BHSE is a rather expensive tube tester... 

Very interesting information... Justin , do you think the BHSE could be seriously damaged by output tube breakdown?

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #4,312 of 9,899
All amps can be seriously damaged when a tube fails.  Normally it is just a cathode resistors that overheats and then melts but it can be far worse than that.  Blown output transformers being about as bad as it gets plus a blown power supply in speaker amps. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #4,313 of 9,899
  Very interesting information... Justin , do you think the BHSE could be seriously damaged by output tube breakdown?

it's hard to protect against every breakage scenario in an amp like this. i have only seen tube-related damage from inserting the wrong kind of tube or trying to hot plug tubes when the amp is turned on

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #4,320 of 9,899
  Does anyone know what the expected life span of the EL34PH in the BHSE would be in hours?

Is there any way of telling when the tubes are close to their demise?

I think it's pretty hard to put an exact number on the lifespan of any tube, especially these, since their relatively new to the market (physical defects excluded),

I probably have close to 1500 hours on mine, and they still sound the same and test the same since about the 200 hour mark.

If you like the tubes, then I suggest you purchase another pair as reference to your current pair. That way you can compare to see if you think there's any sound loss/differences.

Based on your other posts recently, I have a feeling it's nothing to do with the tubes, but more about how your e-stats experience isn't doing it for you anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back