Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #3,212 of 9,899
besides different biases, in what way could the new Senn sets not be easy to use with the Stax standard? 

Quote:
Hopefully indeed as there is no guaranty that the new sets will be easy to use with the Stax standard or conform to the specs of their older sets. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #3,213 of 9,899
For those who have the BHSE or other electrostatic rigs, do you think it makes more sense to have one stax jack and one he-90 jack for versatility, or two stax jacks (because there are many more Stax headphones than Sennheiser electrostats and an adapter probably could be used)?

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #3,214 of 9,899
Unless you plan on paying the absolutely outrageous prices for the HE90 then there's no point. Plus, even if you did can get the HE90 reterminated to a Stax jack. Many people have done this. 

There's no point in getting it for the new Senn cans either because we have no idea what they're going to do jack wise (or bias wise) with those. Though I think they'd be stupid to not just use a Stax termination. 

Quote:
For those who have the BHSE or other electrostatic rigs, do you think it makes more sense to have one stax jack and one he-90 jack for versatility, or two stax jacks (because there are many more Stax headphones than Sennheiser electrostats and an adapter probably could be used)?

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #3,215 of 9,899
^^ I recommend two Stax jacks, with one Pro and one Normal, so you can use Normal-bias headphones too for even more versatility. (You can plug Pro-bias headphones into a Normal jack, but the reverse is impossible.)  With the resulting low gain plus the Alps RK50, you'd be able to achieve any precise volume level you'd want, particularly in the degrees of "quietness". And add a true-balanced source so you can use its high-voltage balanced output if you want to be able to achieve high volumes as easily as low volumes. Because headphones like the OII sound really good when playing certain kinds of loud music.
smile.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #3,216 of 9,899
Quote:
^^ I recommend two Stax jacks, with one Pro and one Normal, so you can use Normal-bias headphones too for even more versatility. (You can plug Pro-bias headphones into a Normal jack, but the reverse is impossible.)  With the resulting low gain plus the Alps RK50, you'd be able to achieve any precise volume level you'd want, particularly in the degrees of "quietness". And add a true-balanced source so you can use its high-voltage balanced output if you want to be able to achieve high volumes as easily as low volumes. Because headphones like the OII sound really good when playing certain kinds of loud music.
smile.gif

Quote:
Unless you plan on paying the absolutely outrageous prices for the HE90 then there's no point. Plus, even if you did can get the HE90 reterminated to a Stax jack. Many people have done this. 

There's no point in getting it for the new Senn cans either because we have no idea what they're going to do jack wise (or bias wise) with those. Though I think they'd be stupid to not just use a Stax termination. 

I think this is pretty good information, thanks. I'll probably end up getting one Normal and one Pro. :)

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,218 of 9,899
Quote:
smile.gif

This sounds like an excellent idea. The SR009 is comparatively very sensitive (feels louder) than my Omega 2mk1 at the same volume level and, as you mention, the O2mk1 sounds better at higher volume levels. I wonder then if having the O2mk1 plugged into the high bias and 009 plugged into the low bias would yield similar loudness (in the rare case where I listen with my wife or if were to use a realiser for movies playback through the phones).

Apart from the drop in gain (6dB?), any other drawbacks?

Anyhow, Justin, would that even be possible for me to consider (in place of the 2 pro bias stax plugs currently) at this stage of the build? Maybe two pro bias plugs but a different bias setting on each output? (In my case, I don't foresee using normal bias phones, or I'd simply look for a used T1 just for that).

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #3,220 of 9,899
Quote:

This sounds like an excellent idea. The SR009 is comparatively very sensitive (feels louder) than my Omega 2mk1 at the same volume level and, as you mention, the O2mk1 sounds better at higher volume levels. I wonder then if having the O2mk1 plugged into the high bias and 009 plugged into the low bias would yield similar loudness (in the rare case where I listen with my wife or if were to use a realiser for movies playback through the phones).

Anyhow, Justin, would that even be possible for me to consider (in place of the 2 pro bias stax plugs currently) at this stage of the build? Maybe two pro bias plugs but a different bias setting on each output? (In my case, I don't foresee using normal bias phones, or I'd simply look for a used T1 just for that).

yes, i can still do it.  this is probably the last batch where i will be able to.  too many combinations of jacks/colors/volume controls means i cant have someone else do that part of repetitive assembly without mistakes

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #3,221 of 9,899
once you get it you are indeed going to "struggles" financially for a while! Always good to honor your good name before getting on board the financial Titanic. See, my name is Figaro and I've been cracking on the high notes ever since I put down the deposit for then bhse!

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #3,222 of 9,899
once you get it you are indeed going to "struggles" financially for a while! Always good to honor your good name before getting on board the financial Titanic. See, my name is Figaro and I've been cracking on the high notes ever since I put down the deposit for then bhse!

Sadly...I am currently living up to my name with this growing Stax collection, I will have to change it when the BHSE comes, I won't be receiving an email from Justin for a while, so that is a plus. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3,223 of 9,899
Quote:

I am in the same situation: a pair of 009, a pair of Omega 2 and a wife... Would there be any drawbacks with this configuration (high bias and low bias)? I confess that I have no idea what this means!

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #3,225 of 9,899
Quote:

I am in the same situation: a pair of 009, a pair of Omega 2 and a wife... Would there be any drawbacks with this configuration (high bias and low bias)? I confess that I have no idea what this means!

For instance, what difference doesn't it make when I am listening alone if I use the high bias versus the low bias, or the other way around? Does it just affect the volume, or the sound quality as well? 

Quote:
Mmmmm....lose the wife!

As you can see, I am the one who is a bit lost here! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back