Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Sep 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #2,506 of 9,899
Quote:

While I think the 009's are amazing sounding headphones, the one problem I have with them is with some of the songs I listen to, at certain parts of the songs I have to turn the volume down because it becomes uncomfortable. I could listen with the volume low with such songs all way through, but then I wouldn't feel as involved with other parts of those songs. I do have my BHSE's volume knob at arms length when listening to music but I'd sooner not have to alter it when needed. I did hear IanG's 007's with no such problem so it's not the BHSE.

Totally agree, it's not the BHSE. That would be the last piece to replace. I'm just saying at normal listening levels, the 009's don't sound bright to me. When I try to push them, and depending on the source material, they start to become too transparent.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #2,507 of 9,899
I am very happy with the 009's driven by the BHSE, and I guess I'm nit picking about the volume issue, but if the 011 is something between the 009's and 007's then I'll be replacing my 009's for the 011. Probably a long time to wait though.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #2,508 of 9,899
Quote:
they start to become too transparent.

What do you mean? Are they too unforgiving of poorly recorded material at higher listening levels? I really do not see how headphones (or speakers for that matter) could be "too transparent".

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #2,509 of 9,899
Quote:

What do you mean? Are they too unforgiving of poorly recorded material at higher listening levels? I really do not see how headphones (or speakers for that matter) could be "too transparent".

[size=medium]I would say the music loses its focus, as the clarity of the sound become slightly thinner. At higher frequencies the beginning and ending of notes are less defined. It becomes somewhat of a strain to focus on the music as the some of the clarity is lost.[/size]

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #2,510 of 9,899
Sorry guys I just realized that the Stax was missing from the above pics. Here you go:

Oops... I mean this

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #2,511 of 9,899
Today I turned my BHSE on knowing I wouldn't be able to use it for sometime, five hours later I listened to one of my favourite CD's and I was in headphone heaven. One thing that seems to happen when the BHSE has been on for sometime is I can put the volume up and the SQ is more fuller and realistic yet not uncomfortable. I have said that some of the songs I listen to loud are uncomfortable at certain parts of those songs, but that's only a few, most of them aren't. If I was to put the same CD on just after I'd put power on the BHSE, I wouldn't be able to listen to that CD as loud as I did after five hours, however you don't have to wait five hours for the BHSE to transform, after about an hour it seems to do that. The BHSE really is an incredible headphone amplifier.

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2,512 of 9,899
put my name in your list 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 I'm 10 years younger than you so my chance is high 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Even though I was half-kidding earlier, I actually think it'd make sense to leave my BHSE to a Head-Fier in my will, at least if my future kids don't end up being audiophiles. I'm 31 though, so if you're older than me, your chances of getting it might be slim. Head-Fiers younger than me only need apply.
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #2,514 of 9,899
Quote:
Today I turned my BHSE on knowing I wouldn't be able to use it for sometime, five hours later I listened to one of my favourite CD's and I was in headphone heaven. One thing that seems to happen when the BHSE has been on for sometime is I can put the volume up and the SQ is more fuller and realistic yet not uncomfortable. I have said that some of the songs I listen to loud are uncomfortable at certain parts of those songs, but that's only a few, most of them aren't. If I was to put the same CD on just after I'd put power on the BHSE, I wouldn't be able to listen to that CD as loud as I did after five hours, however you don't have to wait five hours for the BHSE to transform, after about an hour it seems to do that. The BHSE really is an incredible headphone amplifier.

I agree 100%, and after it has been on like this I find it almost impossible to turn off everything just sounds so right.

It is indeed a work of art both sonically and visually.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #2,515 of 9,899
Quote:
I just wanted to post a new thought here about my BHSE ownership:

Today was the first time I listened to my OII/BHSE since losing my almost 8-year job recently. Rotating in my electrostatic setup reminded me of how much my job had paid for - 6 years' worth of audio gear obsession and meet attendance.
smile.gif

Not that I need to sell my OII/BHSE or anything (have plenty saved up to live without a job for a while), but after listening again today (right now as I write this, even) and in light of my current circumstances, I'm going to put a new spin on how I feel about its sound:

The OII/BHSE sounds so amazing that if I had to, it's the last thing I'd sell if I ever had to. I'd rather sell my other consumer electronics (TV, DVD player, receiver, speakers, etc), photo gear, computer gear, and everything else....and the audio gear last, but even then I still wouldn't want to. If it ever came to being a proverbial beggar in the street, I think I'd have to be an audiophile beggar!

So for those who think the OII/BHSE is outside the realm of being affordable, chew on that for a minute. If I ever had to go back to ramen to sustain the OII/BHSE experience, I totally would! The only way I'm ever getting rid of it is when I'm dead! Anyone want me to leave it to them in my will?
tongue.gif

I agree, the BHSE magic doesn't come alive until at least an hour or so, but when it does, it's totally awesome. The GS-X is indeed a great instant-listen amp and very complementary.

Bummer, sorry about your job dude.  I'll buy you a drink at RMAF if that makes things a little better.  I'd put my name in the hat for your BHSE/O2 but I'm pretty sure I'm already in your will as the one person who should definitely get nothing.  
redface.gif

I think if I had to sell everything, my DIY KGBH > 009 would be the last thing to go, next to my iPad > Pico Slim > Westone ES5 custom IEM.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,516 of 9,899
Impressions after 2 night sessions of listening.

It has the slight Mullard bloom which makes the vocal sounds smooth and at time very 3D like. You can hear every tiny movement in Norah Jone's throat. Excellent instruments separation. One thing I notice though - the bass does not go as deep as the SRM727II, but the impact is as good, or better. Maybe this is because of the tubes. My SED WInged-C quad set will arrive next week so I can try out by then. Still haven't got a chance to try it with my McIntosh preamp yet - I want to fully hear what it is capable of first, without adding anything in between. The setup seems to be able to demonstrate the slightest changes I made to my system - turning upsampling on / off or switching digital filters on the Esoteric (I know David didn't hear a difference but it was quite obvious to me), turning the clock on or off etc, though not as much as in my speaker system reflects such changes.

The BHSE is an amazing amplifier. The looks of it is simply lavish. I am glad I ordered black (with the silver knob). And the sound of it - better. It is not for hearing only classical or Hi-fi stuff, as someone suggested. Even with the 009, which is considered bright by some people, the setup sounds incredibly amazing with some ordinary pop songs. The only tracks I felt the setup to be bright were Louis Armstrong's trumpet. But then his trumpet sounds quite bright in almost any system I have heard of. I try not to attribute the non-brightness to the Princess cable, but I would be able to tell whether it is the interconnect that matters, once I got back my Tara Labs The One Interconnects, which are known to be quite transparent sounding cables.

There is still so much to try with this fine amplifier. After pure headphone music, I will hook it up to the Smyth Realizer and see how it performs with movies.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #2,517 of 9,899
Quote:
Impressions after 2 night sessions of listening.

It has the slight Mullard bloom which makes the vocal sounds smooth and at time very 3D like. You can hear every tiny movement in Norah Jone's throat. Excellent instruments separation. One thing I notice though - the bass does not go as deep as the SRM727II, but the impact is as good, or better. Maybe this is because of the tubes. My SED WInged-C quad set will arrive next week so I can try out by then. Still haven't got a chance to try it with my McIntosh preamp yet - I want to fully hear what it is capable of first, without adding anything in between. The setup seems to be able to demonstrate the slightest changes I made to my system - turning upsampling on / off or switching digital filters on the Esoteric (I know David didn't hear a difference but it was quite obvious to me), turning the clock on or off etc, though not as much as in my speaker system reflects such changes.

The BHSE is an amazing amplifier. The looks of it is simply lavish. I am glad I ordered black (with the silver knob). And the sound of it - better. It is not for hearing only classical or Hi-fi stuff, as someone suggested. Even with the 009, which is considered bright by some people, the setup sounds incredibly amazing with some ordinary pop songs. The only tracks I felt the setup to be bright were Louis Armstrong's trumpet. But then his trumpet sounds quite bright in almost any system I have heard of. I try not to attribute the non-brightness to the Princess cable, but I would be able to tell whether it is the interconnect that matters, once I got back my Tara Labs The One Interconnects, which are known to be quite transparent sounding cables.

Try is still so much to try with this fine amplifier. After pure headphone music, I will hook it up to the Smyth Realizer and see how it performs with movies.

Looking forward to your impressions with the realiser.  I have a BHSE on order and will also be using it with the realiser and 009's.  

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #2,519 of 9,899
Quote:

The setup seems to be able to demonstrate the slightest changes I made to my system - turning upsampling on / off or switching digital filters on the Esoteric (I know David didn't hear a difference but it was quite obvious to me), turning the clock on or off etc

I have to admit I couldn't hear any difference apart from the 0dB and +6dB, but this was sometime ago so I tried the different settings a couple of weeks ago a still couldn't hear any difference. For me everything sounds so good with the K-01 so that's probably why I can't hear any changes.

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #2,520 of 9,899
Me + IanG + Andy someone Ian knows, went to the UK head-fi meeting which I took my 009 + BHSE + iPod. The good thing about using a portable source is that others with theirs could use it which they did. All that used their portable source with my 009 + BHSE said they were very impressed and some said it's the best they'd ever heard it, also those that heard my combo were very impressed too, a couple didn't know what source I was using and when I told them they couldn't believe it, one thought I was using a very expensive source. Ofcourse using a source like the K-01 takes SQ to another level, but even when using a less expensive source the BHSE still makes it sound amazing. What this proves to me is just how good the BHSE is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back