Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Apr 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #1,756 of 9,899

Quote:

Red herrings aside, rubber would still do better than a solid steel pole in that application.  Nobody is arguing against active vibration control since that doesn't come with the BHSE.  From your own link:

"For vibration sources, you can utilize low end viscoelastic feet or spring mounts which will significantly reduce noise transmission."

People only assume the steel cone is the better audiophool tool because they look nicer and are generally more expensive.  They do not do a better job of decreasing energy transfer from the surface beneath than rubber bumpers.

Yup.

i'm not pushing the metal feet in any way; i'm only suggesting (1) feet do matter to performance (2) that rubber feet may not allow for optimal performance (3) typical is that de-coupling feet are best, followed by grounded cone feet, followed by rubber feet as the most likely order of performance. and (4) you would need to listen to each choice to actually select the best choice.

saying feet don't matter at all is simply wrong. but otherwise i don't think we are really are so far apart in what we are saying.

be open minded to trying things; then trust your ears. you just might learn something and find better performance for little effort.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #1,758 of 9,899
These tubes are really not that microphonic.  Unless youre one of "those" audiophiles, vibration is essentially a non-issue except in the case of turntables or reel sources

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,759 of 9,899
These tubes are really not that microphonic.  Unless youre one of "those" audiophiles, vibration is essentially a non-issue except in the case of turntables or reel sources

I completely agree with this statement. I feel that rubber feet and isolation make a much bigger difference in something like a turntable where the needle needs to read the grove with as little vibration as possible. This is even more of an issue if you are listening to speakers, which will literally vibrate the floor with deep bass...headphones not so much. On the BHSE which essentially acts like a solid state amp I doubt there will be much of a difference between rubber and metal feet.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #1,760 of 9,899
Yup feet could actually matter on TTs since they're mechanical.  Notice TT's tend to have legs/suspension designed to decrease energy transfer from the environment instead of pass it on by using springs/air/viscoelastic materials instead of rigid metals and plastics.

Quote:
be open minded to trying things; then trust your ears. you just might learn something and find better performance for little effort.

I would definitely be interested in testing out different feet with the amps but I would make sure the test was actually proper instead of letting my biases get in the way of the truth.  I have a hard time believing you would be open minded enough to try these things yourself properly though. 
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #1,761 of 9,899
I've gone for the silver faceplate on my BHSE and think the metal feet will look great with it, so those rubber feet don't interest me, if I find there's a vibration problem due to those metal feet I'll just get 4 anti vibration washers, those washers I've seen are half rubber [ top ] and half cork [ bottom ]. There's also the HRS Nimbus spacer + coupler.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,762 of 9,899

Quote:
actually in more sophisticated cars these days motor mounts are active.....meaning using vaccum or hydraulics for more precison for higher performance.......

Alright, well look at it this way...... when has a passenger car ever used solid steel engine mounts?

Direct coupling through small points is NOT the way to reduce the transmission of vibrations.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #1,763 of 9,899
As one of "those" audiophiles, I'll go along with Mossback on the footy thing - particularly for the Power Supply, because of the transformer. So it's a shame that the feet for the BHSE have been chosen solely for looks (and height for ventilation of course). I don't think the HRS feet will be suitable because they are relatively wide discs, so will block up a fair proportion of the base ventilation holes.

However, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. I intend to stay away from tweaking my BHSE, apart from maybe a tube roll or two. On that score, hopefully David1961 will report back on the curvy  KT77's you mentioned a while back - how they compare to the standard skinny tubes on both looks and sound. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #1,764 of 9,899

Quote:
 On that score, hopefully David1961 will report back on the curvy  KT77's you mentioned a while back - how they compare to the standard skinny tubes on both looks and sound. 

After advice from a headfier, the tubes I've decided to get are the SED EL34's, however there's other audio accessories I'll be getting before 4 of them.

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,765 of 9,899
Hi, David.
I've decided to stock SED EL34's, Mullard Xf2, GE FatBoy 6CA7. Will have to 'see" myself which is better for my preferences.
Regards,
Erico

Quote:
After advice from a headfier, the tubes I've decided to get are the SED EL34's, however there's other audio accessories I'll be getting before 4 of them.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #1,766 of 9,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericohgb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've decide to stock SED EL34's, Mullard Xf2, GE FatBoy 6CA7. Will have to 'see" myself which is better for my preferences.
Regards,
Erico

Hi Erico,
I'd very much like a quad of NOS Mullard's but they seem to be quite rare, however please write your thoughts on them and the other two makes.
                                   Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back