Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #1,201 of 9,899
My whole system is BAT tube. The mono locks are tube and get really hot. The preamp and cd are tubes in a cabinet which do not get as hot. Exposed tubes should have at least 6". My mono blocks are on the bottom shelves with fans pulling the air off them. My BHSE will go on a top shelf. I will have to move my EAR phono 88pb to a center shelf with 4-5".

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #1,203 of 9,899

Quote:
My whole system is BAT tube. The mono locks are tube and get really hot. The preamp and cd are tubes in a cabinet which do not get as hot. Exposed tubes should have at least 6". My mono blocks are on the bottom shelves with fans pulling the air off them. My BHSE will go on a top shelf. I will have to move my EAR phono 88pb to a center shelf with 4-5".

I assume that you are responding to my post. Thanks.

I still would like someone to tell me whether or not I should be fine if I put the power supply about 6'' under the amp...

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #1,205 of 9,899
Above the alcove I've my 50" plasma TV and because I want my audio and video equipment together, that alcove is the only place I can put my equipment. The problem is the alcove is only 27" wide and I can only position the BHSE's amp + PSU on the same shelf adjacent to each other. Justin said the gap between the amp + psu would need to be about  6" but that would not be possible for me. To get around that I'm placing some heat resistant board between them. The other problem is this alcove has only one ventilation point which is the front, both sides and back are brick. If the BHSE give off a lot of heat like some headfiers have said, the only way for me is to fit a motorised chimney extractor fan. If or when I have to have one fitted the only thing that will be seen is a vent at the back of the alcove, the fan will be on top of the chimney outside. This probably sounds like a radical thing to do but I believe it will work.

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #1,206 of 9,899
If you have your audio gear and your Plasma TV on at the same time a vent is not going to help all that much in the summer time. The only way to correct this problem that I know about is to get yourself a portable air conditioner. I have central air in my house but the one air vent and the one intake vent in my man cave just doesn't cut it. If the BHSE runs as hot as folks are saying, I wish you the best of luck.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #1,207 of 9,899
Justin mentioned a while back that the combined power dissipation of the 2 units was 180 watts. 
Now, 180 watts may be high for a headphone amp, but it isn't much compared to monster power amps or space heaters.

So I'd be surprised if major fan activity is necessary, as long as basic space requirements are met.
So David1961, I think you're right to wait and see. All the chimney fans I've heard were really noisy. And as you live up north, you probably need to to retain all the heat you possibly can
wink.gif

How long is the cable between the 2 units? 1 metre would be good, as I'd like to put the supply unit 2 shelves below the main unit (not because of the heat aspect).

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #1,209 of 9,899
Assuming I do need a fan to pull the heat away from the BHSE, noise won't be a problem because as I said the chimney fan will be fixed on the top of the chimney outside. Also sillysally thank you for wishing me luck but hopefully I won't need it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #1,211 of 9,899

Quote:

That's how mine is setup with no issues.  It does run hot but not as bad as a small Class A speaker amp. 

Finally! Thanks Spritzer.

On another note, could you explain Spritzer what you meant when you said in another thread (or was it this one?) that the KGSSHV run “at full tilt” would be a contender (alongside with the BHSE and the T2) as the best amp to drive the 007? What does it mean to run the KGSSHV “at full tilt” in this case? Do you simply mean that at low volume one performs better than the other, but that at high volume both would be very similar, or are you referring instead to the +/-400 power supplies (1800 volts peak to peak) vs the +/-500 power supplies (2000 volts peak to peak)?

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,214 of 9,899

Quote:
Above the alcove I've my 50" plasma TV and because I want my audio and video equipment together, that alcove is the only place I can put my equipment. The problem is the alcove is only 27" wide and I can only position the BHSE's amp + PSU on the same shelf adjacent to each other. Justin said the gap between the amp + psu would need to be about  6" but that would not be possible for me. To get around that I'm placing some heat resistant board between them. The other problem is this alcove has only one ventilation point which is the front, both sides and back are brick. If the BHSE give off a lot of heat like some headfiers have said, the only way for me is to fit a motorised chimney extractor fan. If or when I have to have one fitted the only thing that will be seen is a vent at the back of the alcove, the fan will be on top of the chimney outside. This probably sounds like a radical thing to do but I believe it will work.

What about a custom shelving unit where the shelves can slide out, allowing better ventilation on all four sides when in use?

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,215 of 9,899

Quote:
What about a custom shelving unit where the shelves can slide out, allowing better ventilation on all four sides when in use?

Hi Golfnutz,
Thank you for what sounds an excellent idea, however the Esoteric K-01 I have is about 31kg so I wouldn't like the thought of it being on a shelf with nothing to support it's weight when the shelf is extended. I must say though, I don't know how hot the BHSE is supposed to get, there may be a possibility when I get the BHSE I won't need a fan, when I get it I'll find out what needs to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back