Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 14, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,171 of 9,899
Naive question here: What purely solid-state amp is an equivalent to the BHSE? For as long as I've been reading these forums, the BHSE seems to stand heads-and-shoulders above all amps. Alas, I tried listening to one at a NY headphone meet but soldiers were guarding it with their lives. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #1,172 of 9,899
Now, that would depend on which headphone you're trying to run - general opinion is that the BHSE is primarily optimized and best for the O2. OTOH, there aren't all that many (great) SS amps for electrostats around, I think that the whole "premier league" (to define it via the price) is running tubes. Your best shot would probably be a Cavalli Liquid Lightning (if the final version comes out somewhat better than the first beta series feedbacks suggest), a KGSS (if you can get one 2nd hand) or a KGSSHV (if you can build one) - those in the know seem to think that a good KGSSHV should come close to the BHSE, but that hasn't been proved or falsified so far 
popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #1,173 of 9,899

Quote:
... those in the know seem to think that a good KGSSHV should come close to the BHSE, but that hasn't been proved or falsified so far 
popcorn.gif

... and there are also those in the know, who may or may be not the same people, who think that the BHSE will always have an edge on the KGSSHV, but that hasn't been proved or falsified so far either 
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #1,174 of 9,899

Quote:
... and there are also those in the know, who may or may be not the same people, who think that the BHSE will always have an edge on the KGSSHV, but that hasn't been proved or falsified so far either 
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

The KGSSHV has been placed next to the T2. I hope you don't mind me quoting you Kevin. "It's no T2 (soundwise), but it is very close and 15% of the price." -Kevin Gilmore

Another user who has both KGSSHV and T2 very similar findings. "It sounds slightly different from the T2, but it's SS and is "dang close"

My take:
It's 15% the cost of T2... and solid state. Personally I like SS sound, so for now I'm going to grab KGSSHV. I've also heard tales of pixies and prancing ponies regarding Koss ESP-950 and KGSSHV. So far, I have no reasons to doubt the KGSSHV abilities.

Just thought this might be 'kinda' relevant.
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #1,175 of 9,899
not that I am aware of - but it is fully compatible with brilliant pebbles and shakti stones, and can be modified to accept a Tice clock input

Quote:
Does the BHSE use audiophile grade fuse?

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,176 of 9,899

Quote:
The KGSSHV has been placed next to the T2. I hope you don't mind me quoting you Kevin. "It's no T2 (soundwise), but it is very close and 15% of the price." -Kevin Gilmore

Another user who has both KGSSHV and T2 very similar findings. "It sounds slightly different from the T2, but it's SS and is "dang close"

My take:
It's 15% the cost of T2... and solid state. Personally I like SS sound, so for now I'm going to grab KGSSHV. I've also heard tales of pixies and prancing ponies regarding Koss ESP-950 and KGSSHV. So far, I have no reasons to doubt the KGSSHV abilities.

Just thought this might be 'kinda' relevant.
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Sounds good, but the question, at least for me, is whether the KGSSHV is closer than the BHSE to the T2 (that being said I haven't heard any of them so far!). Do you have any idea about what does Mr. Gilmore have to say about the BHSE with regard to the T2? 
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

PS. I am asking because I am really on the verge of ordering a BHSE (trying to overcome all my reservations about tubes, the heat, etc.), but I would much prefer to be told that the KGSSHV is as good as the BHSE, perhaps just a little bit different but nothing more! I know, however, that Head Amp is not going to make a KGSSHV any time soon, but I guess that I can muddle through the wait by grabbing some 717 somewhere in the meantime. But the bottom line is that we have to be patient, there are a few KGSSHV being built right now, so we should expect to hear more soon.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #1,178 of 9,899
El Doug, I can't believe you are using the Lavry 11 for the BHSE->009 combo... Sorry to be blunt but IMO it is a waste of the BHSE->009 setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back