Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Mar 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #631 of 9,899

Quote:
2 years ago I had assumed I would be discontinuing any and all home amps and only building portables.  The sudden huge interest in the BHSE came as a surprise, and it takes several months to obtain all of the custom parts for it.  Being prepared in advance for this is really not possible as I am laying out $100k cash to buy these parts (obtain financing for building headphone amps, yeah sure).  To do so in advance on the hope that people may be interested over a relatively short period of time is not really possible.  Initially I had parts for only 10 units, increased this to 20, and am finishing the remaining units in the next 1-2 weeks.  Orders after that will come from the next run of parts which is for 45 units.  At this time I have all the materials in "raw" form -- circuit boards need assembly, enclosures need powdercoating/polishing, so not too bad.  

Quote:

29/09/2009 - Placed order & initial deposit for a '2nd batch' BHSE.
20/11/2010 - Received request for balance of payment and shipping. Estimated shipping date 12/10
26/11/2010 - Balance of Payment & Shipping Sent.
16/12/2010 - Sent an email asking for status update and perhaps a new shipping date. No reply.
10/02/2010 - Sent an email asking for status update and perhaps a new shipping date. No reply.

Total wait time so far: 1 year, 5 months 10 days.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #632 of 9,899
Stay the course, dude. Even though communication is key, the BHSE is the best sounding stat amp, that money can buy.

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #633 of 9,899
Oh I'm not disputing the amp's merits or Justin's ability to deliver.

Just pointing out that an estimate is just that and may bear no relation to an actual delivery date.

With the greatest of respect to Justin, I feel that people expecting to have a BHSE in their hands 6 months after handing over payment may have to loosen their expectations somewhat.

For me, prior to December last year, I never asked for an estimate (or communicated with Justin about the amp at all) and so was pleasantly surprised to receive one in December.

However, once I received one, I was curious why it wasn't met. Justin is usually very good with dates.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #634 of 9,899
Sounds fair to say. I'd be upset at not getting an update especially considering you asked months apart. I hope Stax builds a much bigger following then we will see this amp
come from over seas at a fraction of the cost. Maybe not as high end components but couldn't it still be a pretty great amp that more of us can find in our budgets. The best
is the best though.

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #635 of 9,899

Quote:

29/09/2009 - Placed order & initial deposit for a '2nd batch' BHSE.
20/11/2010 - Received request for balance of payment and shipping. Estimated shipping date 12/10
26/11/2010 - Balance of Payment & Shipping Sent.
16/12/2010 - Sent an email asking for status update and perhaps a new shipping date. No reply.
10/02/2010 - Sent an email asking for status update and perhaps a new shipping date. No reply.

Total wait time so far: 1 year, 5 months 10 days.

you're #2 to ship right now, so very soon.  for those who really want to keep track, if I sent 5 in the next week I would be exactly @ the 6 months.  Any of the orders after that will come entirely from the new batch of parts that have been coming in the past few months & will continue for the next few months.  Those are for orders mid-September 2010 and later.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #636 of 9,899

Quote:
you're #2 to ship right now, so very soon.  for those who really want to keep track, if I sent 5 in the next week I would be exactly @ the 6 months.  Any of the orders after that will come entirely from the new batch of parts that have been coming in the past few months & will continue for the next few months.  Those are for orders mid-September 2010 and later.

Justin, am I also right to say that I am after him since you mentioned that I was at #3 to ship as per your original email reply to me on 9th Feb 2011? I am fully paid with shipping included as well.

"I have a huge # of parts on order, enough for 45 more BHSEs.  I've brought in an additional machine shop to make parts for the amp.  you are #3 to ship right now.  originally, i had parts for 20 units (plus extra parts, I ordered 25 sets) and your order is #22.  there are just a couple things that need to be done, such as powdercoating the extra enclosure parts, before I can finish yours"

Hope you don't mind me posting the excerpt.Let me know if you want it removed.

If that's that case, well folks, for what it's worth, I ordered in May 2010 and it will be heartening to see the wait times are shortened considerably and that I waited less than a year before my BHSE came.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #637 of 9,899
I own the original Blue Hawaii amp upgraded with Black Gate caps built by Justin years ago.  This amp now has 1000's of hours of use and has worked flawlessly for over 6 years.  I'm currently running it with Mullard XF2's for the last couple years and find the sound with the Omega II Mk1 outstanding.  Is there anyone (Justin or Birgir) who can give me some idea of the sonic differences between my amp and the BHSE?  I may take Justin up on his generous offer to help with the disaster in Japan and order soon.  I don't post often but Head-fiers have never let me down before when I need a little push to justify a purchase.
o2smile.gif
  Thanks!

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #638 of 9,899
It's been too long since I shipped out my old BH for any meaningful comparisons and the ones I've built since then have all be rather different from the Headamp version of the BH.  The main difference with the BHSE will be even more power since Justin didn't run the older BH amps at full speed due to heat issues.  Add to that better layout, shorter signal path and with the RK50, the best attenuator money can buy, and the BHSE is a better amplifier over all. 

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #639 of 9,899
The BHSE is a better-looking amp than the KGBH too - polished aluminum parts and a heavy-duty chassis with 45-degree heatsink fins that makes it look like a mini-Pass Labs creation. More customizable too - the front panel can be had in blue-grey, silver, or black.

Blue-grey is on the Web site (www.headamp.com).

Silver: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/439657/headamp-blue-hawaii-special-edition/450#post_7134520

Black: http://www.pbase.com/n_maher/image/110661727.jpg

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #641 of 9,899
Thanks for pics ASR.  The silver is superb looking.  I'm trying to contact Justin to see if he has any silver faceplate left.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #643 of 9,899
Please inform us of the production status through a bulletin borard.
We would appreciate it if you can let us know specifically how far you have produced among the pending orders.

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #644 of 9,899
I sent two emails to justin and have not received any reply. My order was in placed in may 2010, so wouldn't that fall under the really soon to ship segment?

i was promised 6 months as well...but that looks drawn out to a full year already.

Am i included in the 5 that is supposed to ship as per the last reply since the new parts are meant for orders after september 2010?

Sorry,but had to ask this here as I need an update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back