Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Mar 22, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #9,811 of 9,902
The price is now $6995 for the dact volume control. $7995 for RK50. So the price of the Grand Cayman is going to be high.
Actually the price starts still at 6495,-
It's just that the polished front plates cost 500,- extra.

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #9,812 of 9,902
I think it will be closer to $24K. I placed an order. :dt880smile:

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #9,813 of 9,902
Actually the price starts still at 6495,-
It's just that the polished front plates cost 500,- extra.
Your right. I never looked at the satin finish ones. Of course I'm a little partial to the polished blue.:wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpeg
    IMG_0001.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #9,814 of 9,902
Your right. I never looked at the satin finish ones. Of course I'm a little partial to the polished blue.:wink:
Personally I really like the satin Black.
The new announcements however made me reconsider if I want the BHSE or a different amp.

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #9,815 of 9,902
Personally I really like the satin Black.
The new announcements however made me reconsider if I want the BHSE or a different amp.
I also think the satin black looks great, but there was a long time where they didn't have a picture of it on the site. Didn't think it would blow me away so I never inquired about a pic and I already had my heart set on the polished blue, but it definitely would have been a tougher call if I knew satin black looked so good.

Excited to read Grand Cayman impressions when it rolls out, but if I didn't already have a BHSE then I would find Eksonic's Ares to be a very tempting alternative for that price range. I got my BHSE in 2021 primarily because it paired so well with the X9000, but honestly would have probably waited and saved if I knew the Grand Cayman was going to happen.

Mar 22, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #9,816 of 9,902
I also think the satin black looks great, but there was a long time where they didn't have a picture of it on the site. Didn't think it would blow me away so I never inquired about a pic and I already had my heart set on the polished blue, but it definitely would have been a tougher call if I knew satin black looked so good.

Excited to read Grand Cayman impressions when it rolls out, but if I didn't already have a BHSE then I would find Eksonic's Ares to be a very tempting alternative for that price range. I got my BHSE in 2021 primarily because it paired so well with the X9000, but honestly would have probably waited and saved if I knew the Grand Cayman was going to happen.
And since I'm still in the Position to choose without loss, I have to reconsider all the options.

Justin has amazing customer Service though, all my special wishes could most likely be granted

Mar 22, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #9,817 of 9,902
And since I'm still in the Position to choose without loss, I have to reconsider all the options.

Justin has amazing customer Service though, all my special wishes could most likely be granted
Justin's customer service has been great in all my dealings with Headamp, but didn't know they did special requests until recently. Definitely would've asked about a satin green BHSE.

Only seen it in green at their booth at shows but I don't think I've seen any owners posting their own (?). Was able to find a green gsx-mk2 though so I still got a green headamp after all

Mar 22, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #9,818 of 9,902
Fair comparison will be Grand Cayman vs. Kerry T2. The Aeras, BHSE, and Carbon are the tier below

Jun 19, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #9,819 of 9,902
Do you find it necessary or are you being compulsive?

I am a new owner of a BHSE, but the biasing video shows "this video is private" for me? Anyone have instructions? The amp I bought used seem to have all the packaging, but no manual.

Also, I'm curious what readily available tubes are best as far as sound quality? It seems some use PSVANE EL34 PH, are these still some of the best sounding?

Also found these svetlana EL34 power tubes... not sure if they are a re-issue of the winged c tubes? Would these be good to try?
https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/amps/tubes-valves/svetlana-el34-power-tube/

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I've never owned a tube amp before.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 6.53.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 6.53.51 PM.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #9,820 of 9,902
I believe it is self biasing. So shoudn't need to do anything.

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #9,823 of 9,902
I can definitely see a pot next to each tube through the holes in the top of the BHSE? Each pot has a blue colored body and brass screw.
The adjustments are for the DC offset and balance. You might email Justin to get the video or instructions?
The manual is available on HeadAmp's page for the BHSE:
https://www.headamp.com/products/blue-hawaii-se
Capture.JPG

I like the Shuguang Treasures in mine.
If you search the thread you will find several lists and impressions of the various tubes.

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #9,824 of 9,902
Here is what Justin had to say on the subject.
We've used a couple different fuse values depending on the manufacturer and model of the custom power transformers. Currently we use 3.15A for 115V use and 1.6A for 230V use. Sometimes in the past, we accidentally undervalued it slightly and it might blow 1 out of 1000 times, but 3.15A seems to be the best fit with the current transformers. These are always slow-blow fuses.

By the way it's pretty rare to need to do the offset/balance adjustments (everyone including us calls it bias but it's not). STAX amps all have these same adjustments hidden inside the box. Unless something is wrong with the tubes or your room temperature has changed by several degrees or more, it's probably not needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back