Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Apr 8, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #8,011 of 9,899
I'm about to put mine in to hear how they sound. I've been using the stock tubes for a while to make sure the amp is ready to go and to make sure I have a really good Baseline for comparison. You know I've been waiting for this amp for 2 years so I had to let the new toy syndrome fade a little bit. Yeah right :D
Here's a picture of one of the tubes.

Really curious to hear your thoughts , please update us later. Its about the only chinese modern el34 tube that seems built to the highest grade (according to my sources). They are very expensive.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #8,012 of 9,899
Really curious to hear your thoughts , please update us later. Its about the only chinese modern tube that seems built to the highest grade (according to my sources). They are very expensive.

Will do.

I don't think I'm really cut out for lots of tube rolling because it really makes me nervous every time I pull a tube and put a new one in and turn the power on for the first time. Me and the magic smoke don't always see eye-to-eye. :D

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #8,013 of 9,899
Will do.

I don't think I'm really cut out for lots of tube rolling because it really makes me nervous every time I pull a tube and put a new one in and turn the power on for the first time. Me and the magic smoke don't always see eye-to-eye. :D

Well if its any reassurance, they are meant to be extremely good. Ive a great contact in the industry who says their build standards are way in excess of any other modern el34. Ive never tried it, so really very interested. It is the only chinese el34 that interests me.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #8,014 of 9,899
Well if its any reassurance, they are meant to be extremely good. Ive a great contact in the industry who says their build standards are way in excess of any other modern el34. Ive never tried it, so really very interested. It is the only chinese el34 that interests me.

Well I just powered on the amp and I'm going to wait a few minutes and check the BIAS and see what happens.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #8,016 of 9,899
I always liked how they use the black carbon coating to trap the stray electrons inside the glass on those tubes. Should help reduce microphonics too.

Ill check back tomorrow to hear how you get on

So far the bias is working out the same as what the stock tubes were. We'll see in a few hours how it goes.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #8,017 of 9,899
I'm about to put mine in to hear how they sound. I've been using the stock tubes for a while to make sure the amp is ready to go and to make sure I have a really good Baseline for comparison. You know I've been waiting for this amp for 2 years so I had to let the new toy syndrome fade a little bit. Yeah right :D
Here's a picture of one of the tubes.

Pretty tubes.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #8,019 of 9,899

What's it cost roughly for a decent NOS quad set of XF1/2s or those Philips Metal base?

Even though they are no doubt going to be much more expensive and hassle to find compared to these new issues, the risk of failure seems a lot less to me. Buying NOS tubes is complicated by some dodgy sellers with part used tubes and non matched / tested. If you find a solid supplier I would stick with them, there is a lot of fraud on Ebay.

All true.  Reputable dealer will sell you Mullard xf2 for $150-$250 a tube.  You will be hard pressed to find quad of Philips EL34 metal tubes.  Only tube dealer I know that has them is asking $500 a tube.

As for EBAY, I have had decent luck.  Quad of used XF1 for ~100 a tube.  No problems (so far).  Telefunken el34, nos which work and are nos. (I think they are really relabelled RFT but then again I paid 65 a tube).

As for other sources, I got lucky.  Friend who sold philips el34 for a little less than 100 a tube.  set of metal el34 for a little more than 100 a tube.

I think there are two-three sweet spots for nos tubes from my previous experience with them.

1) Mullard XF2 Single O getter
2) Philips EL34 regular base
3) Tesla OO getter might also be but haven't tested one yet in BHSE

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #8,020 of 9,899
As for other sources, I got lucky.  ....  set of metal el34 for a little more than 100 a tube.

That's bloody lucky indeed! I always see these at 800USD a matched pair on ebay... Gave up on trying to score a quad, that's a frigging 25% of the cost of the amp!!

Arnaud

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #8,021 of 9,899
The big difference in prices with vintage tubes usually relates to their condition, measured performance and closeness pair/quad matching.
So you may get lucky with a really low cost example, but usually you'll get a tube nearer the end of its life.
However, there are no guarantees in the tube world. A well used example could still measure better and be more reliable than a NOS tube that's been sitting in a box for 60 years.

Edit: If you have a tube tester, and know what you're doing, then getting low cost vintage tubes and matching them yourself can be part of the fun of this hobby. But if you don't and you don't, then proceed with caution.

I don't bother with the term "NOS" any more, as these are so rare these days, especially for the oldest classics like XF1 and metal base. I prefer to use the term "vintage", and reserve NOS for when a tube really is NOS.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #8,022 of 9,899
Well I just powered on the amp and I'm going to wait a few minutes and check the BIAS and see what happens.

Mine should look like this when if when it arrives 
tongue.gif

Ali

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #8,024 of 9,899
  I got final payment notice on february 2nd and havent got shipping notice yet. Im wondering is here anyone else in the same situation? Cant wait the day I finally get my black beauty home! 
L3000.gif

Keep in mind Justin always starts with domestic deliveries, that does allow him to recall the amps easily whenever some common bug affects them. I've ordered mine at the same time BearFNF did it (may 2014), final payment 02/02/16 as well, but he has his and I'm still waiting since I'm overseas (France)...anticipation still remains half the pleasure 
tongue.gif

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back