Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Apr 7, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #7,997 of 9,899
So popped in the PSVANE Holland EL34 Replicas and a set of Mullards XF1 so far.  Haven't played with the stock tubes that much so far.

One thing I am finding is the PSVANE Holland EL34 Replicas seem to have a noticeable grain to some music when you listen to it early on turn on (think <15 minutes).  I do seem to notice it less later one.  But I didn't notice it at all with XF1 and the limited use of the stock tubes.  Anyone with experience with these PSVane Holland EL34 replicas that can comment?

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #7,998 of 9,899
  So popped in the PSVANE Holland EL34 Replicas and a set of Mullards XF1 so far.  Haven't played with the stock tubes that much so far.

One thing I am finding is the PSVANE Holland EL34 Replicas seem to have a noticeable grain to some music when you listen to it early on turn on (think <15 minutes).  I do seem to notice it less later one.  But I didn't notice it at all with XF1 and the limited use of the stock tubes.  Anyone with experience with these PSVane Holland EL34 replicas that can comment?

I read PSVanes can blow up, I would be careful....

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #7,999 of 9,899
I found that my Psvanes (before they blew up) were better sounding than stock tubes at every possible level - and certainly much less grain than stock.

I also found that they, like most tubes (and most components) need a burn in time before they blossom. The stock tubes would have been burned in by Justin. Try again after 100 hours.

On reputation alone, I would expect the XF1's to far exceed the Psvanes.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #8,000 of 9,899
I continue to look for quads of NOS Phillips DD getter tubes but the only place I can find them is eBay.  Personally I think we are about a decade or more out from the ability to get matched true NOS tubes.  I have no doubt there are none better.  

I have been buying octets of EL34PH from Grant Fidelity and can usually get at least two matched pairs (<5%) from the eight and consider that pretty good.  I am 150 hours into my first BHSE quad and I am very pleased.  The thing is that if you are not matching plate current and transconductance yourself then you are placing random tubes into your BHSE. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #8,001 of 9,899
PSVANE strikes again.  One of my PSVane EL34 Replicas now not lighting up.  Problem is I ordered back in early December when I thought I was getting my BHSE.  Total time on tube is less than 16 hours.  Grrr.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #8,002 of 9,899
PSVANE strikes again.  One of my PSVane EL34 Replicas now not lighting up.  Problem is I ordered back in early December when I thought I was getting my BHSE.  Total time on tube is less than 16 hours.  Grrr.

Yeah, i wouldnt touch them. Ive had 5 fail in a year in other amplifiers. They have some really bad batches. Their quality ranges from abysmal to average. They sound ok when they work but just too many issues with them to even risk an investment.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #8,003 of 9,899
Holy SH$@.  Just put in the real Phillips EL34 Metal base and WOW.  The presentation is a bit different which is neither here or there.  But there is a much more noticeable texture to the music than the PSVANEs.  I have to go back to the XF1s and check, but I didn't get that wow.  Maybe my DAC is breaking in or something else going on.  But a noticeable jump in musicality right off the bat.  In some ways, making the individual notes on the 4 songs I have listen to so far seem more elongated/drawn out and rich.

Actually much more of a wow from Rock for some odd reason.  Less noticeable but definitely better with classical.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #8,004 of 9,899
pretty much any voltmeter will do. Just make sure it goes to 1000V.

I bought this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-MSR-U1000-Autoranging-Multimeter-Non-contact/dp/B00NW62L88/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1459963826&sr=8-15&keywords=voltmeter

Funny thing is that I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to set it for 1000v before I realized it was auto ranging (ie i don't have to set it).  just turn dial to voltmeter and set sensitivity and away you go.
[/quote

DC OR AC?? Mine is 230V on a step down transformer to 117.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #8,006 of 9,899
  Holy SH$@.  Just put in the real Phillips EL34 Metal base and WOW.  The presentation is a bit different which is neither here or there.  But there is a much more noticeable texture to the music than the PSVANEs.  I have to go back to the XF1s and check, but I didn't get that wow.  Maybe my DAC is breaking in or something else going on.  But a noticeable jump in musicality right off the bat.  In some ways, making the individual notes on the 4 songs I have listen to so far seem more elongated/drawn out and rich.

Actually much more of a wow from Rock for some odd reason.  Less noticeable but definitely better with classical.

What's it cost roughly for a decent NOS quad set of XF1/2s or those Philips Metal base?

Even though they are no doubt going to be much more expensive and hassle to find compared to these new issues, the risk of failure seems a lot less to me. Buying NOS tubes is complicated by some dodgy sellers with part used tubes and non matched / tested. If you find a solid supplier I would stick with them, there is a lot of fraud on Ebay.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #8,010 of 9,899
Anyone tried the Shuguang Treasure Series EL34/6CA7=Z. Curious to hear your thoughts....
I'm about to put mine in to hear how they sound. I've been using the stock tubes for a while to make sure the amp is ready to go and to make sure I have a really good Baseline for comparison. You know I've been waiting for this amp for 2 years so I had to let the new toy syndrome fade a little bit. Yeah right :D
Here's a picture of one of the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back