Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jan 7, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #7,726 of 9,899
Can you share where you sourced yours?

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #7,727 of 9,899

What about repairs, how long for those is acceptable?

Not sure what your agenda is astro, but it seems you take every opportunity to discredit Justin anyway you can. You don't own a BHSE, and you probably never will, so what does it matter to you? It's no wonder you're not welcome over at the other site (your words).  Your comments are really becoming obnoxious.

While it looks like some are trying to discredit Justin with their comments about wait-times and lack of communication, the most important things IMO are SQ and build quality, and I find the BHSE excels in both, plus it's very nice looking, again IMO. Which is why if Justin decided to do a KGSSHV Carbon, then I'd definitely consider ordering one.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #7,728 of 9,899
the most important things IMO are SQ and build quality, and I find the BHSE excels in both, plus it's very nice looking, again IMO. Which is why if Justin decided to do a KGSSHV Carbon, then I'd definitely consider ordering one.

+1. People with patience will have one of the finest headphone amps currently available. I'm fine with the waiting.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #7,729 of 9,899
While it looks like some are trying to discredit Justin with their comments about wait-times and lack of communication, the most important things IMO are SQ and build quality, and I find the BHSE excels in both, plus it's very nice looking, again IMO. Which is why if Justin decided to do a KGSSHV Carbon, then I'd definitely consider ordering one.

+1. People with patience will have one of the finest headphone amps currently available. I'm fine with the waiting.

Plus a sense of pride of ownership.  No other amp will beat the combination of look & sound of the BHSE.  

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #7,731 of 9,899
Jan 8, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #7,732 of 9,899
Can you share where you sourced yours?

I have a couple of dealers (Brent Jesse) that I asked to look for these tubes over last several months. If you don't care about price, tubedepot.com has true NOS el34 Philips Miniwatt. I couldn't justify $500 a tube so I did the waiting thing. So my quad isn't as pretty as those true NOS ones and have slightly different date codes, but I paid around 1/3 the price for my quad.

The xf1's were an eBay special. So we will see how they turn out. Couldn't resist as I have never seen xf1's for sale anywhere.

The psvane el34 were from grant fidelity.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #7,733 of 9,899

I was using PH's with my BHSE, and because they mostly solved the problem with the uncomfortable treble from the 009's, I decided to get another quad, both quads were from Grant Fidelity.
However reliability is an issue with PH's, so when Watford-Valves had Mullard xf4's available that apparently were got directly from the ( now closed ) Blackburn Mullard factory, I jumped at the chance, and I also got another quad of those xf4's.
Between the xf4's and PH's, I much prefer the xf4's, and since getting those Mullards I've not used that second quad of PH's.

That first quad of PH's packed-up after around a year of use.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #7,734 of 9,899
  Not by me, but for that price why not just spend $200 more for a Mullard EL34 NOS or Holland EL34 XF4?  These NOS are much more robust with much better quality control.

I have a couple of dealers (Brent Jesse) that I asked to look for these tubes over last several months. If you don't care about price, tubedepot.com has true NOS el34 Philips Miniwatt. I couldn't justify $500 a tube so I did the waiting thing. So my quad isn't as pretty as those true NOS ones and have slightly different date codes, but I paid around 1/3 the price for my quad.

The xf1's were an eBay special. So we will see how they turn out. Couldn't resist as I have never seen xf1's for sale anywhere.

The psvane el34 were from grant fidelity.

I was using PH's with my BHSE, and because they mostly solved the problem with the uncomfortable treble from the 009's, I decided to get another quad, both quads were from Grant Fidelity.
However reliability is an issue with PH's, so when Watford-Valves had Mullard xf4's available that apparently were got directly from the ( now closed ) Blackburn Mullard factory, I jumped at the chance, and I also got another quad of those xf4's.
Between the xf4's and PH's, I much prefer the xf4's, and since getting those Mullards I've not used that second quad of PH's.

That first quad of PH's packed-up after around a year of use.

Thanks for the input guy's, I appreciate it.
I'm actually waiting on a guy to get back to me about a quad set of NOS Mullard XF3's which I've already been in contact with. I was just curious how these tube were and their reliability…I had read somewhere that there where issue with the Psvanes but I didn't remember if it was with the NOS or the new production replica's. Thanks again, I appreciate your replies.
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #7,735 of 9,899

Translated from the bottom of the web, the last text:

Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] "Also on the traditional products still bring its flagship SR-009, and with the SR-009 represents Cruiser flagship amp has entered the development stage at the end , in 2016 it is expected to meet with consumers ."[/color]

So, T2 successor this year too :)
Now they only need european dealers with similar prices to japan and warranty

Ali

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #7,736 of 9,899

Interesting.... here's hoping the price is real world, i.e. not Orpheus MK2 then the wider community can enjoy it.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #7,737 of 9,899
Thanks for the input guy's, I appreciate it.
I'm actually waiting on a guy to get back to me about a quad set of NOS Mullard XF3's which I've already been in contact with. I was just curious how these tube were and their reliability…I had read somewhere that there where issue with the Psvanes but I didn't remember if it was with the NOS or the new production replica's. Thanks again, I appreciate your replies.
:beerchug:

Psvane are only new production. As FYI, the psvane replicas are trying to replicate the Dutch el34 tubes, not the British el34. In any case, these psvane tubes are the ones with previous reliability issues. May or may not be solved.

As for nos, the Mullard el34 are built like tanks and very reliable, but then again they are old tubes. So if they measure correctly and good condition, they should last you a long time.

Based on your comments, just wanted to make sure you understand some differences between nos tubes. There are Dutch and British made tubes from Mullard and Philips as well as branded by others. Generally Philips are Dutch and Mullard are British. Other brands can be made by one or the other. Problem is Philips owned mullard so I have heard of British Philips and Dutch Mullard (who knows if this is true). Additionally you have problem that xf3-xf4 designation were used by both Dutch and British plants as designation. Aside from seeing the identification/date codes, you have to look at the construction. Here is decent site with information:
http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20EL34/EL34.htm

As for desirability, there is some dispute and everyone's system is different so I will give what I have heard as I understand the consensus opinions in order

1) Dutch metal base and British Mullard xf1: xf1 is so rare so unclear if part of its desirability is its rareness
2) Dutch xf3-4 DD getter and British Mullard xf2 OO getter
3) Mullard xf2 Single O getter
4) Mullard xf3-4 single O getter and stapled plates

In your case, you mention Mullard xf3 so I assume British version. i would say there is commonly thought to be "bigger" drop off between the British xf3-4 next level up. They for sure are less valuable and more common. If they are the Dutch el34 xf3, then they are more desirable. Funny thing a few years ago, Dutch non metal el34 were not that valuable. Oh, big argument whether not any difference between xf2 single vs double O getter, but OO generally more desireble.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #7,738 of 9,899
It's been said several times before that a BHSE coming from Stac through their regular retail system would be north of 10kUSD w/o any option.
Didn't Kevin or Birgir say a DIY T2 type of amp would be over 10kUSD if built by Justin? So, again, that's 15kUSD at very least if coming from Stax, isn't it?
The main block for Stax to release a new flagship amp to date has been just that: how to avoid escalating costs which would reduce target audience to a niche within the niche within the niche...

Arnaud

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #7,739 of 9,899
Thank you very much for the lesson on the tubes and also the link…very interesting.
I knew Philips owned Mullard, but I didn't know about the British/Dutch plants. I'm still talking with the seller and I may go with Mullard XF2's if he can match a quad set for me…otherwise I can get a quad set of Philips XF3's
Thanks again for taking the time to explain their differences, I appreciate you letting me know about what I'm looking to purchase.

Joseph 
beerchug.gif

EDIT: Prior to you replying about the Psvane (yes I knew they are replica's) I had read some information about them not being reliable at all, thanks. I also understand that the XF3's went down in structural qualities compared to the XF1-2 by crimping the plate instead of welding. And the XF4's are still much better than any new production tube.

Jan 9, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #7,740 of 9,899
Thank you very much for the lesson on the tubes and also the link…very interesting.
I knew Philips owned Mullard, but I didn't know about the British/Dutch plants. I'm still talking with the seller and I may go with Mullard XF2's if he can match a quad set for me…otherwise I can get a quad set of Philips XF3's
Thanks again for taking the time to explain their differences, I appreciate you letting me know about what I'm looking to purchase.

Joseph 
:beerchug:  

EDIT: Prior to you replying about the Psvane (yes I knew they are replica's) I had read some information about them not being reliable at all, thanks. I also understand that the XF3's went down in structural qualities compared to the XF1-2 by crimping the plate instead of welding. And the XF4's are still much better than any new production tube.

I know they redesigned the psvane's (last year?). The new ones are the ones with gold pins. Heard these are more reliable but hard to tell since complaints often don't specify which they have. I do know if you are removing these tubes from sockets, be careful.

As for the xf3 stapled/crimped plates, it is referring to the British el34 and applies to the British xf4. I have heard the argument that the stapled plates versions are less reliable but it does seem to be more theoretical than and real evidence to the effect. Comments about worse sound from them as compare to xf2/xf1 seem more consistent.

If TheAttorney is to be believed and no reason not to, he liked the Dutch el34 better than British xf2. So if pricing is the same, you might lean towards the Dutch Xf3. I haven't heard any of them on bhse but have owned/played with el34 over the years on hifi eq. I would generally say that the British el34 are more euphonic and "slower" with that magic mid range. not that the Dutch versions don't have it but they seem more all rounders. Let me know if you don't get those xf3. Never really owned xf3 vs metal base so curious is there really that big a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back